Hostos’ transformation from a diamond in the rough to the “Jewel of the South Bronx” continued on September 20, when the incredible renovations to the B-Building were celebrated. The building is now home to Hostos’ Mathematics Department, Office of Academic Affairs and Office on Information Technology.
Hostos President David Gómez was on hand, along with many distinguished elected officials, community leaders and CUNY administrators to recognize all the work that went into the building located at 500 Grand Concourse.
“This building, a symbol of abandonment in the 1960’s, became a symbol of hope and renewal because of a young group of elected officials, community activists and educational idealists,” President Gómez said. “Now, four decades after acquiring a space that an insurance company lay fallow, we are restoring that same building floor by floor. Over the past year, this floor has experienced a dramatic transformation to a bright, clean, modern space for work and learning.”
Judith Bergtraum, CUNY Vice Chancellor for Facilities Planning, Construction and Management, was also in attendance to salute everyone who was a part of the project. The renovations include a link between the B and C buildings, two large, state-of-the-art conference rooms, and upgraded stairwells.
See our Facebook photo album from the ribbon cutting here.
Those who attended or who had a hand in the incredible project were:
- Carmen E. Arroyo/ 84th Assembly District
- Michael Arvanites, CUNY Trustee
- Judith Bergtraum, CUNY Vice Chancellor for Facilities Planning, Construction and Management.
- Ralph Carmisino and Robert Lev from CUNY Office of Facilities Planning & Construction Management
- Hostos Division of Administration and Finance, Senior Vice President Esther Rodríguez-Chardavoyne, as well as Elizabeth Friedman, Frank Virone, Julio Centeno, Varun Sehgal.
- Katherine M. Conway, CUNY Trustee and Chair, University Faculty Senate
- Nathalia Fernández/ Bronx Regional Representative, representing the Office of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo
- Vanessa L. Gibson, NYC Council Member
- Mario Hanna of TDX Construction Corporation,
- Monica Major/ Director of Education & Youth/ Office of Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr.
- Victor M. Pichardo, NYS Assembly Member
- Samir Rimawi and Daniel Burgos from DASNY
- Sandra Wilkin, CUNY Trustee
- Kiyomi Tremor and Mei Yan Zhang of Goshow Architects Trevor Prince, Gabriel Mirkov and Kevin O’Sullivan of Constructomics.
About Hostos Community College
Eugenio María de Hostos Community College is an educational agent for change that has been transforming and improving the quality of life in the South Bronx and neighboring communities for nearly half a century. Since 1968, Hostos has been a gateway to intellectual growth and socioeconomic mobility, as well as a point of departure for lifelong learning, success in professional careers, and transfer to advanced higher education programs.
Hostos offers 27 associate degree programs and two certificate programs that facilitate easy transfer to The City University of New York’s (CUNY) four-year colleges or baccalaureate studies at other institutions. The College has an award-winning Division of Continuing Education & Workforce Development that offers professional development courses and certificate-bearing workforce training programs. Hostos is part of CUNY, the nation’s leading urban public university, which serves more than 500,000 students at 24 colleges.