BRONX COMMUNITY COLLEGE ANNOUNCES EXPANDED SERVICE FOR DISABLED STUDENTS

City Council Member James Vacca Secures Funds to Help the
Visually-Impaired
Master Coursework and Exams

What: Announcement of a major expansion of BCC’s Assistive Technology Center

When: Monday, December 4, 2017, 11:15 to 12:15 p.m.

Where: Loew Hall, Room 215, Bronx Community College, 2155 University Avenue, Bronx, New York

About:  Bronx City Council Member James Vacca (District #13) will be on campus for the announcement of a major expansion of BCC’s Assistive Technology Center and Testing Lab in Loew Hall, which uses the latest computer software to help visually-impaired students study and take exams. The $200,000 in New York City funds made possible by Council Member Vacca will double the number of students the ATC supports to some 600 by the beginning of the Fall 2018 semester. “I am proud to have allocated resources to ensure that the new visual impairment testing lab becomes a reality,” says Council Member Vacca. “My father struggled for years with a visual impairment. I intimately know the impact that the lack of accessibility and resources has on the lives of those with disabilities. I look forward to the new lab assisting countless students in completing their coursework and degrees.”

The Center will be run by BCC’s Office of Disability Services. “At Bronx Community College, we are determined to remove all barriers to higher education — including physical disability,” notes BCC President Thomas A. Isekenegbe. “The funding Council Member Vacca has secured for our new Assistive Technology Center is a huge contribution towards the fulfillment of that mission.”

For further information, contact david.levers@bcc.cuny.edu or 718.289.5157.