Queens College to Offer Over 700 Summer Courses, Including Online; Registration Opens February 13

— Free On-Campus Student Parking, Free Shuttle Buses, Low Cost Housing Available Throughout Three Summer Sessions —

Queens, N.Y., February 8, 2018—Queens College Summer Session courses are now open for enrollment, with registration beginning February 13. Three sessions throughout the summer months provide students the opportunity to earn a total of 15 credits. Anyone—whether Queens College and CUNY students looking to accelerate their degree completion or the general public seeking personal enrichment—can choose from over 700 undergraduate and graduate courses. On-campus and online courses are available in all three sessions.

For the first time Queens College offers all registered Summer Session students free campus parking—a savings for those who drive to campus—as well as inexpensive on-campus housing (as low as $240 per week) in the Summit Apartments, the school’s residence hall. Queens College shuttle buses transport students free of charge to and from Jamaica and Flushing. The College is located on an 80-acre campus in Queens with modern athletic facilities, including an Olympic size swimming pool and tennis courts.

“Summer Session at Queens College offers students a low cost opportunity to combine academic advancement with enough time to enjoy the season. Students can benefit from a Summer Session ‘trifecta,’” said Queens College President Félix V. Matos Rodríguez. “They can take more challenging STEM courses individually rather than as part of a full semester course load, which pre-med students or those taking double majors find helpful; more quickly complete their degree or meet Excelsior Scholarship requirements; and for those who are Pell-eligible, apply part of their funds for summer courses.”

Queens College students enrolled in the school’s QC in 4 Program and the New York State Excelsior Scholarship Program who need to maintain a 30 credits per year minimum in order to remain in the programs can use Summer Session as an opportunity to help meet that credit requirement. Quickening degree completion also eases the financial burden since students are able to graduate earlier than when they take classes exclusively in fall and spring semesters. In fact, nine out of ten Queens College students who graduate in four years leave school debt-free.

“I found that taking a Summer Session class—especially a Biology class with a lab component—helped me learn and retain the material more effectively than if I had taken it during the regular semester,” said Queens College student Solomon Shapiro. “Another benefit of taking a Summer Session course was that I fulfilled one of my general education requirements and still had time to participate in an on-campus internship,” added Shapiro, a junior who is majoring in political science. “I hope to take another Summer Session course in the future so that I can lessen my regular semester course load, earn credits I need for graduation, and make the most of my experience at Queens College.”

Summer Session also offers an opportunity for current teachers to progress towards the certifications or degrees they need with graduate level courses in special education and bilingual education. Similarly, graduate courses in other programs are available for graduate students who must attend part-time due to other obligations.

Summer Session 2018 Schedule

Session 1 (4 weeks long)              Monday, June 4 to Wednesday, June 27 (up to 6 credits)

Session 2 (4 weeks long)              Monday, July 2 to Thursday, July 26 (up to 6 credits)

Session 3 (6 weeks long)              Monday, July 2 to Monday, August 13 (up to 9 credits)

Queens College students can register through CUNYfirst. Students from other CUNY campuses must obtain an e-permit from CUNY and then register through CUNYfirst. Visiting undergraduate and graduate students who do not attend a CUNY school—including those from SUNY and private colleges, and high school students with proof of a diploma—may apply through our Undergraduate Visiting Student Application and Graduate Visiting Student Application. Those not enrolled at another higher education institution wishing to take courses on a non-matriculated basis must complete the non-degree application.

For more information, please visit the Summer Session homepage.

High School students may also take advantage of free opportunities for academic development through two offerings in the College Now Program—the Summer Institute for the Humanities and Social Sciences and the Queens College Summer Science Program. The Summer Institute runs during Queens College Summer Session 2, Monday through Thursday, and is designed to address high school students’ academic, cultural and social interests and needs. The overall purpose of the Summer Science Program is to expose students to hot topics in the major scientific fields. Part of a city-wide initiative between the CUNY and the NYC Department of Education, College Now’s primary goals are to improve the academic achievement of high school students and to ensure that graduating students are ready to do college-level work. All courses, workshops, and textbooks are free to NYC Public High School students.

About Queens College
Queens College graduates the most teachers, counselors, and principals in the metropolitan area. The college contributes to the local talent pool as a powerful economic engine and a leader in tech education, with more computer science majors than any college in New York City. Queens College also has the third-highest number of accounting and business students in all of New York State. Students from across the country and around the world are attracted to study at the Aaron Copland School of Music. Its renowned faculty and alumni include nationally recognized composers, conductors and performers who have received nearly 40 Grammy Awards and nominations over the past 40 years.

Queens College enjoys a national reputation for its liberal arts and sciences and pre-professional programs. With its graduate and undergraduate degrees, honors programs, and research and internship opportunities, the college helps its nearly 19,000 students realize their potential in countless ways, assisted by an accessible, award-winning faculty. Located on a beautiful, 80-acre campus in Flushing, the college is cited each year in the Princeton Review as one of the nation’s 100 “Best Value” colleges, as well as being ranked a U.S. News and World Report Best College and Forbes Magazine Best Value College thanks to its outstanding academics, generous financial aid packages, and relatively low costs. Visit our homepage to learn more.

For more about Queens college, visit http://www.qc.cuny.edu/Pages/home.aspx

Maria Matteo
Office of Communications
Assistant Director, News Services