Queens College Students Michelle Fang and Raymond Greene Receive Investors Bank Scholarships

— Fang, a Graduate Student and Widowed Mother, and Greene, an Undergrad, Are Both Flushing Residents Pursuing Careers in Business —

QUEENS, NY, August 1, 2018 – At the Queens College Business Forum in June, Investors Bank Awarded QC students Michelle Fang and Raymond Greene scholarships of $2,500 each.

Fang, who came to the U.S. from Shanghai as an eighth-grader, graduated from QC in 2005 with a degree in Accounting and Information Systems. Currently a student in the MS in Accounting program, she maintains a perfect GPA of 4.0.

After receiving her undergraduate degree, Fang worked in the accounting field until her husband suddenly passed away, leaving her with a one-year-old son. “My whole world was turned upside down,” she says. Yet it was during this difficult time, while balancing her studies with the responsibilities of being a single mother, that she became a Certified Management Accountant; she returned to work soon afterwards. Fang’s ultimate goal is to become a CPA, where she stresses the need to hold the profession to a “high ethical standard.”

“Receiving this scholarship has impacted my career and future studies in a very positive way,” Fang says. “It’s been a bumpy road the past six years, and I want to thank everyone who helped me get the award, especially my parents and Queens College professors.”

Like Fang, Raymond Greene lives in Flushing, where he grew up and attended PS/IS 499 on the QC campus. He is currently pursuing an undergraduate degree in Business Administration, earning a GPA of 3.8, and expects to graduate in 2019; he has already lined up an internship with J.P. Morgan for next summer. He is currently the director of marketing for the business club ALPFA, as well as vice president of the QC Economics and Business club.

After graduation, he plans to continue his studies at QC, enrolling in the MA in Risk Management program. “I’m very attracted to finance because of the complex nature of the industry and its potential for upward mobility,” Greene says. “This scholarship means a great deal to me, as it will allow me to comfortably attend school and dedicate myself to furthering my career in finance,” says Greene.

“Queens College has been in my life since I first started attending school,” he adds. Revealing a wry sense of humor, Greene adds: “After lagging behind my full potential throughout high school, it was wonderful to be accepted for the award and get a chance at redemption.”

Perseverance and taking advantage of opportunities is common to both students. Along with the expected business-related courses, Fang includes a communication class among “the most interesting and meaningful to her.”

“The class helped me not only in reading and writing but in expressing myself more clearly to others,” says the Chinese native, now an American citizen. “We can never stop learning no matter how much we already know.”

About Investors Bank
Investors Bank, headquartered in Short Hills, New Jersey, is a full-service community bank that has been serving customers since 1926. With over $23 billion in assets and a network of more than 150 retail branches, Investors delivers personalized services and products tailored to the needs of its customers. Investors’ banking services include complete deposit, loan and cash management products for consumers and businesses. Investors Bank. Member FDIC and Equal Housing Lender.

About Queens College
Queens College enjoys a national reputation for its liberal arts and sciences and pre-professional programs. With its graduate and undergraduate degrees, honors programs, and research and internship opportunities, Queens College helps its over 19,000 students realize their potential in countless ways, under the guidance of an accessible, award-winning faculty. The college was recently ranked tenth among U.S. public colleges by the Chronicle of Higher Education for upward social and economic mobility. The Center for World University Rankings placed Queens College in the top 3.5% of schools worldwide, based on the quality of its education and faculty, the number of its alumni who find employment, and other factors. Located on a beautiful, 80-acre campus in Flushing, the college is cited each year by the Princeton Review as one of the nation’s 100 “Best Value” colleges, and is routinely ranked a U.S. News & World Report Best College and Forbes Magazine Best Value College, thanks to its outstanding academics, generous financial aid packages, and relatively low costs. Visit qc.cuny.edu to learn more.

A leader in preparing future educators, Queens College graduates the most teachers, counselors, and principals in the New York metropolitan area. It also contributes to New York City’s talent pool as a powerful economic engine and a leader in tech education, with more undergraduate computer science majors than any city college. Students from across the country and around the world come to Queens College’s Aaron Copland School of Music. Its renowned faculty and alumni include nationally recognized composers, conductors, and performers who have received nearly 40 Grammy Awards and nominations over the past forty years.

For more about Queens college, visit http://www.qc.cuny.edu/Pages/home.aspx

Maria Matteo
Office of Communications
Assistant Director, News Services
718-997-5593
maria.matteo@qc.cuny.edu