)

William and Anita Newman Donate $25 Million to Baruch

September 28, 2004 | Philanthropy at CUNY

William and Anita Newman’s 2004 gift of $25 million was one of the largest in the history of public higher education in New York State. It was given in support of Baruch College’s award-winning Vertical Campus facility, which opened in 2001, housing the Zicklin School of Business and the Weissman School of Arts and Sciences. The complex was re-named the William and Anita Newman Vertical Campus.

Mr. Newman’s extensive support for Baruch includes the Steven L. Newman Real Estate Institute, the Newman Real Estate programs, comprising Master’s and undergraduate programs in the School of Public Affairs and the Zicklin School of Business at Baruch, and key support for the reconstruction of the William and Anita Newman Library.

William Newman graduated from Baruch College in 1947 with a BBA and received an honorary doctorate from the College in 1997. A real estate legend, Mr. Newman is the founder and chairman of New Plan Excel Realty Trust, Inc., a self-administered and self-managed REIT that is one of the nation’s largest real estate companies, with a national portfolio of more than 400 properties and total assets of approximately $4 billion. He has received the Wall Street Transcript’s gold, silver, and bronze medals for national leadership in the real estate industry, and Ernst & Young’s Real Estate Entrepreneur of the Year Award in 1998. He is also the former chairman of the National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts, a position he occupied from 1990 to 1992. Mr. Newman’s wife Anita attended Hunter College and received an honorary degree from Baruch College. Read more>>>