March 11, 2009 | Partners and Supporters
CUNY recognizes the remarkable contributions of The Starr Foundation, one of the most generous foundation donors in the university’s history.
The Starr Foundation was established in 1955 by Cornelius Vander Starr, an insurance entrepreneur who founded C.V. Starr & Co. and other companies later combined by his successor, Maurice R. Greenberg. Mr. Starr, a pioneer of globalization, set up his first insurance venture in Shanghai in 1919. He died in 1968 at 76, leaving his estate to the Foundation.
Several CUNY colleges have benefited from The Starr Foundation’s commitment to public higher education. Baruch College has received more than $11 million, including $6 million establishing the C.V. Starr Scholarships to assist needy students and to build a career counseling center, The Starr Career Development Center. The Foundation helped initiate what is now the Macaulay Honors College with a $3 million grant, which was used to create a permanent endowment to provide full scholarship support for five Starr Scholars each year.
The Starr Foundation was also one of the founding donors of the Charles B. Rangel Center for Public Service at The City College of New York. Its $5 million grant created the C.V. Starr Library, which will consist of archives and memorabilia documenting a history of public service in New York City. The library will further serve as a locus of research and conferences that will address barriers to full participation in public service by underserved minorities.
Starr also has supported a number of smaller programs and centers across the university, including the Brooklyn College Academy, the Out In Two program at Borough of Manhattan Community College, the Zicklin Academy of Finance at Baruch College, the City University’s Teaching Opportunity Program and the Hunter College Brookdale Center on Aging.
In total the Starr Foundation has given almost $20 million to CUNY colleges and to university-wide initiatives. CUNY takes special pride in acknowledging this extraordinary generosity and the unwavering commitment of Starr to the University and its mission.