Latest News

Check out everything that's happening at CUNY Law

Somalia Samuel (’14) Awarded Bertha Fellowship at Center for Constitutional Rights

March 21, 2014

Somalia Samuel has been awarded a two-year Bertha Fellowship at the Center for Constitutional Rights. She will be working on its Government Misconduct/Racial Justice (GMRJ) docket of cases, which have included Floyd v. City of New York, Blum v. HolderHassan v. City of New York, Ashker v. Brown, and Vulcan Society v. City of New York, among others.

Somalia Samuel ('14)

Somalia Samuel (’14)

GMRJ attorneys develop creative litigation and advocacy projects in areas such as racial justice; economic and social rights; the government’s criminalization of dissent; mass incarceration; immigrant justice; policing; national security; environmental justice; gender equality; and LGBTQ rights.

“Coming to law school, I knew that advancing the rights of the educationally and economically disadvantaged who find themselves oppressed by those in power would be my life’s work,” said Samuel.

While at CUNY Law, Samuel participated in the Criminal Defense Clinic and was a Thurgood Marshall Fellow at the New York City Bar Association. She interned at the Neighborhood Defender Service of Harlem and for the Hon. Marcy S. Friedman in the New York Supreme Court. Before coming to law school, Samuel worked at Sullivan & Cromwell LLP as a litigation legal assistant working on anti-trust and securities litigation.

A graduate of John Jay College, Samuel said she came to CUNY Law School “because of its mission of law in the service of human needs. It was the only law school I applied to. I am happy with my decision to attend CUNY Law because I have been surrounded by people who, like me, refuse to stand around and let injustices occur.”

Related Categories: Spotlight, Student News

The City University of
New York School of Law

2 Court Square
Long Island City, NY 11101-4356
Phone: 718-340-4200
Copyright © 2014 All Rights Reserved.
Content may not be reproduced without permission.