City College Librarian Claudia Lascar Named Distinguished BioMedical & Life Sciences Librarian of the Year

July 25, 2013 | News

Claudia Lascar, from the Science & Engineering Library at City College, was named Distinguished Member of the Year 2013 by the SLA BioMedical & Life Sciences Division for her many years of service. Additionally, she received the Chair’s Recognition Award for her contributions to the work of the division’s chair and its executive board. The double awards were presented to Professor Lascar on June 10th at the 104th International Annual Conference of the Special Libraries Association (SLA).

“This is a really big honor for me to be the first member of the division to be recognized twice in the same year,” said Professor Lascar of her dual victories. “I was very emotional and surprised when I was chosen for the Chair’s Recognition Award since I had received this award before in 2007. But when it came time to receive the Distinguished award, I was overwhelmed. I’m thrilled to have been given the opportunity to serve my division and the profession, and to know that my work is valued.”

The awards were conferred by an awards committee composed of past winners and national division officers. Professor Lascar was chosen for the honors for her outstanding record of service to the profession. She has served as chair of the SLA BioMedical & Life Sciences Division’s Public Relations Committee and is currently the content manager/co-chair for the division website. She also holds Distinguished Member status in the Academy of Health Information Professionals of the Medical Library Association’s peer-reviewed professional development and career recognition program. She has held Distinguished Member status since 2005.

“I think it is wonderful that CUNY’s librarians continue to be recognized for their fine work in many endeavors,” said Curtis Kendrick, CUNY university librarian. “Claudia’s work in particular, in the areas of engineering and biomedicine, has helped countless CUNY students and faculty in their work and studies.”