CUNY Home CUNY mla website
)

City Tech Student and Other CUNY Reps Attend Mayoral Press Conference on Volunteerism — City Tech News

June 5, 2009 | General

NewsCity Tech student and human services senior Anna Acevedo (fourth from right, second row from top) was one of a group of CUNY community assistance volunteers to participate in New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg’s April 20, 2009, press conference honoring volunteerism and promoting the city’s new volunteering opportunities website at nycservice.org. The site enables visitors to search a database for organizations listing currently available volunteer openings. Ms. Acevedo participated at the invitation of the CUNY Leadership Academy and the CUNY Citizenship and Immigration Project.

“I love all of the areas that my volunteering efforts have exposed me to,” says Ms. Acevedo. “At the moment I have two goals. First, to obtain my Licensed Master of Social Worker degree and, second, to find a field in social work that would allow me to use all of the skills I’ve developed.

“I have been a specialty volunteer for different organizations my whole adult life,” she adds, “and have served as an advocate for survivors of domestic violence and rape, a mentor for the Women’s Prison Association, a bilingual aide with the CUNY Citizenship and Immigration Project, a volunteer with The Salvation Army, a social worker’s assistant in a Date Rape Intervention Program, a community activist in my Williamsburg/Brooklyn neighborhood, and an AIDS peer educator with another community-based organization. These activities have been a fantastic learning experience, because this is where my advocacy and leadership skills began to develop.”

The Mayor’s press conference was held at the 168th Armory in the Fort Washington section of Manhattan. Volunteers representing other colleges, universities and community groups also participated. The event marked the launch of NYC Service, a new effort to promote service and volunteerism in the city at a time when many New Yorkers are feeling the effects of the national recession. It comes at a time when the country’s new president has inspired a revived national interest in service and committed federal resources to the effort.

06.05.09

Quick Links Events Updates