NCC to Celebrate National Writing Day

October 12, 2012 | Events

The New Community College at CUNY will celebrate National Writing Day, instituted by the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE), during the week of October 15, 2012. Organized by English professors Nicola Blake and Lori Ungemah, a variety of activities is designed to begin a conversation about writing with the prompt “Why I Write.” If compelled, students can also respond to the 2012 prompt instituted by National Council of Teachers of English, “What I Write.”

Across disciplines, professors will ask their students to engage in a classroom writing activity that builds on existing curricula or highlights something special about writing. To emphasize that everyone writes, faculty and staff of the College will also answer the question “Why I Write.” Their responses will be showcased in the Information Commons during the week. On Tuesday, October 16, Peer Mentor Carlos Iro Burgos will lead two creative writing workshops.  Students will tweet a response to “Why I Write” and/or “What I Write” on the NCC Writers Twitter handle in the Information Commons on Thursday, October 18. Students who tweet will receive a special gift to commemorate the National Day on Writing. Adjunct Instructor Charles Jordan will moderate this event.

The NCTE established October 20 as The National Day on Writing to highlight the significance of writing in our national life, to draw attention to the remarkable variety of writing we engage in, and to help writers from all walks of life recognize how important writing is to their lives.

50 West 40th St NYC
(646) 313-8000