Speed Networking Night at Guttman Provides Students with Opportunity to Learn About Different Fields

May 16, 2014 | Career Development

On May 13, President Scott E. Evenbeck welcomed a group of 22 invited professionals representing industries in finance,digital marketing, banking, humanDSC_0039 resources, non-profits, interior design, technology, public relations, child welfare, media, health and wellness, environmental services, publishing, and government to participate in Speed Networking Night at Guttman. This event was hosted by the Office of Partnerships & Community Engagement and the Career Strategists.

28 students paired with professionals in a round-robin format with one student seated with each professional for two-minutes per meeting; at the bell, students moved on to the next professional. In this sequence, students met with each professional to converse and share and explore different career paths. To date, this event has already yielded opportunities for internships, shadow experiences and projected informational interviews. In the midst of this learning experience, students visited the LinkedIn Photo booth station to take professional photos for use in their media marketing tools such as LinkedIn, E-Portfolio and Facebook.

photoOne professional noted in her post-evaluation of the event, “I think the students were very interesting in sharing their career aspirations and learning more about the fields that each of the speakers represented…I enjoyed getting to speak with the students interested in pursuing careers in fashion and publishing, and sharing my own career path with them.”

One Guttman student commented in the post-event evaluation: “What I found the most helpful was meeting people that are working already in what I want work one day. Which is communications…”

Another student also found the event beneficial, noting “I was able to tell the professionals my future plans in the computer field. They were happy to see that I went out of my way to expand my knowledge about computers.’

Speed Networking Night at Guttman was sponsored by the Student Government Association, Chipotle, Inca Kola, and the NYC LGBTQS Chamber of Commerce.

50 West 40th St NYC
(646) 313-8000