Podcasts

Nobel Laureate Lederman, Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Address CUNY Grads

June 11, 2010 | City College, CUNY Lecture Series, Hostos Community College

Nobel Laureate Leon M. Lederman challenged The City College’s Class of 2010 to “help make the world a better place” in a commencement speech delivered 67 years after his own graduation from CCNY. The renowned physicist, who received his B.S. in chemistry in 1943, urged the graduates to tackle the most difficult issues of their time. “The major concerns facing the citizens of the 21st century will be population growth, environmental and global climate change, and the increasing gap between the rich and poor,” said Lederman. “It’s my wish that you — beneficiaries of the greatest education I know — can enjoy its benefits and help make the world a better place.” Other distinguished speakers at The City University of New York’s 2010 commencement ceremonies included U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor, who told Hostos Community College graduates of her mother’s struggle as a single parent and return to school, at 47, for a nursing degree. “Hostos opened the doors to my mother’s dreams and it opened the path to where I am today,” said Justice Sotomayor.
Listen Now >>

Play