News & Blogs

Student Spotlight – Susanna Siltanen, BMCC, Center for Employment Opportunity

January 27, 2014 | Members, News

Susanna is our Student of the Month for December 2013.  In her own words:

My service placement at the Center for Employment Opportunity is absolutely wonderful.  I said at the start that I wanted to know how non-profits work, and I’m getting complete insight.  They’ve opened the doors for me to attend quarterly meetings.  I’m in there with all of the top executives.  I’m working on a big project – publishing a national training manual for job developers – and once it’s done I will be able to say that I was a part of that.

My job is research/writing and it’s different than many of the service placements I’ve heard about from my peers at BMCC.  What is happening to me this year is helping me to improve my professional and personal skills.  I’m improving my writing skills.  I’m learning about the job development world.  I’m literally a professional working on their team.

I speak for Service Corps members with children who are also involved in school.  It is possible to do it!  There are always other responsibilities, but being in the Corps and giving back will give you more energy.

My goal is to become a fierce leader and work for non-profits that give second chances to those who are seeking a better life.  At CEO I’m getting all the right tools to achieve this goal.

SusannaSiltanen