News & Blogs

Student Spotlight – Amalia Nunez, BMCC, New York Hall of Science

March 25, 2014 | Members, News

In her own words:

I’m representing the Borough of Manhattan Community College, and I am placed at the New York Hall of Science, where I use my filmmaking skills to create science-concept videos.  For me, the Service Corps means (1) catering to the most important needs of the city, (2) self discovery, and (3) skill building on a professional level.

The Service Corps gave me the motivation I needed to finally pass my math remedial and kept me on my toes when it came to my grades.

Working at the New York Hall of Science through the CUNY Service Corps gave me a direction.  It helped me better define my editing style and helped me brush up on my photography skills.

The Service Corps prepared me for dealing with situations on a professional level.  I developed close friendships with professional people from all walks of life.

The CUNY Service Corps program is more than a program.  Being a part of the Service Corps with support both at the site and at the college is like being a part of an extended family that helped guide me and kept me centered when I felt like giving up.  It was a great experience and I’m forever in debt for this opportunity.

Here’s a link to one of Amalia’s New York Hall of Science videos, which has been previously featured in a spotlight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9iXGB-x7fU.

AmaliaNunezBlog