News & Blogs

Student Spotlight – Michael Luppino, College of Staten Island, Staten Island University Hospital

March 25, 2014 | Members, News

In his own words:

I am a sophomore and a biology major at CSI.  I am placed at Staten Island University Hospital in the cardiology department.  I work in administration and medical research.  I attend meetings and help to develop fundraisers.  One of the projects I’m working on is helping patients with cardiovascular disease to exercise.  The other is ranking a patient’s level of disability after a stroke.  My role is to help with data collection.  I am using a program to check on patients and see how they’re doing.  We want to see if the treatment we provided really helped them.  In the cardiac rehab project, I’m creating an algorithm.

I honestly had no idea how to do this work before the Service Corps.  At first I was really flustered, and I didn’t know where to turn.  But there were a lot of people who were able to help me.  The Service Corps is a great program because you are exposed to so many types of fields.  Working in a hospital is such a great environment.  I think I’ve learned what I want to do in the future.

I recently attended an event for the Governor’s Citizen Preparedness Task Force.  The Governor is making an attempt to bring people together and keep them safe.  The Service Corps students who attended were grouped together.  People noticed us because we were a mass.  It was empowering.  If I didn’t work in this program, I wouldn’t be able to talk about my experience.  This has been such a major change for me.  Students at CUNY don’t realize that this opportunity is here.