)

Internship Opporunity: Emerging Leaders Program

October 19, 2010 | Jobs & Internships

Emerging Leaders Program

Are you a Veteran with a disability currently enrolled in college or graduate school? Put your knowledge, skills and experience to work in a paid summer internship with a major U.S. corporation.

To qualify you must:
- Self-identify as a person with a qualified disability under
the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended
- Have completed a minimum of 60 college/university-level credits
- Maintain at least a 3.0 GPA (some participating employers require higher)
- Maintain student status the semester following your internship
(graduating seniors immediately continuing on to graduate-level
study may also apply)
- Be able to provide proof of U.S. citizenship
- Make a commitment to attend the annual Leadership Development Conference (LDC), if selected
To apply:
- Complete the application from the Emerging Leader’s web site www.emerging-leaders.com
- Include with your application a 500-word essay on how living with a disability has impacted your life
- Include with your application a business-appropriate resume
- Submit a transcript through the latest completed semester (unofficial transcript accepted)
-  Checkthe Emerging Leaders website for application deadlines

“During my last semester at college, I realized that obtaining experience to add value to my degree is a challenge most students face. This is often an even greater challenge to veterans of the US armed forces.
Fortunately, I discovered the Emerging Leaders Program which allowed me to gain real world experience while working fora Fortune 100 company. The Emerging Leaders program has allowed me to network and gain valuable advice from colleagues, managers, and officers within and outside of
MetLife. Emerging Leaders provided me with the opportunity of meeting others that share similar challenges and leaders who care. I wish I knew about this program sooner”
Bryan Sancho
US Army
Emerging Leaders Class of 2010

Emerging Leaders is a program of the National Business & Disability Council (www.nbdc.com) at Just One Break, Inc. (JOB) / Abilities! a partner in the Campaign for Disability Employment (CDE), a collaborative effort between theAmericanAssociation of People with Disabilities (AAPD); the National Business & Disability Council (NBDC); Special Olympics (SO); and the U.S. Business Leadership Network (USBLN). The Campaign is supported by West Virginia University, receives technical assistance from the Job Accommodation Network (JAN) and is funded by the Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP)/US Department of Labor. For more information, visit www.whatcanyoudocampaign.org