October 29, 2010 | Jobs & Internships
Seedco/Workforce1 Career Center
Full time position open – Career Advisor!
Type: Full-time Career Advisor position
Start Date: As soon as possible
Education Requirement: Associate’s Degree plus
Salary: Mid to High 30s, commensurate with experience with full benefits package
Overview of position
Seedco is seeking qualified candidates for a full-time Career Advisor position at the Workforce1 Career Center located on West 125th Street. Career Advisors are responsible for providing job readiness services and activities for the Upper Manhattan Workforce1 Career Center. We are looking for motivated self-starters, who are eager to “do whatever it takes” to make the Career Center a model of employment and retention services. Candidates should have experience in Workforce Development or a related field, particularly in prevocational service delivery. Ability to understand and implement prevocational services in context of an outcomes driven environment is crucial to success in this position.
Essential responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provides one-on-one employment counseling to customers in need of intensive employment services;
- Conducts thorough assessment of customer skills and aptitudes and compares them against customer career goals;
- Assists customers develop Individual Employment Plans (IEP), identifying the steps required for each customer to ultimately secure employment aligned with the career goals outlined in their IEP;
- Identifies all job-readiness, placement, and retention support resources necessary to ensure customers secure and employment and self-sufficiency;
- Review resumes and identify current job openings that match candidates’ skills and interests
- Conduct ITG workshops/information sessions on occupational research, employment goal setting, and if training is right for the jobseeker
- Must be ready, willing and able to assist all staff as required (training sessions, customer follow-up, etc.);
Candidates should possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- At least 3 years of directly related experience in Employment counseling required
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and analytical skills
- Bilingual skills in Spanish preferred
- Ability to work effectively in a high volume, performance based environment
- Ability to effectively interact and work with individuals with diverse backgrounds
- Direct social service experience, providing eligibility and service assessment services to low-income communities preferred
- Excellent computer skills and experience with database software
- Must be able to work evening hours
Overview of Seedco , The Workforce1 Career Center
Seedco is a national community development operating intermediary which creates opportunities for low wage workers and their families by engaging with community partners and anchor institutions to develop, operate and learn from model programs that: help people join the workforce and achieve economic self-sufficiency, assist small businesses, and promote asset building for residents and businesses in economically distressed communities. For more information on Seedco, check out www.seedco.org.
Through a contract with the New York City Department of Small Business Services (SBS) Seedco manages the Workforce1 Career Center in Upper Manhattan. The Workforce1 Career Center is a partnership of agencies and organizations working together to provide a full array of employment services including career advisement, job search counseling, skills training and job placement and retention services that are matched to the staffing needs of the business community.
How to apply
Seedco is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer. Please forward resume and cover letter to: email@example.com