December 8, 2010 | Jobs & Internships
Seedco/Workforce1 Career Center
Full time position open – Career Advisor
Type: Full-time Career Advisor Position
Start Date: As soon as possible
Education Requirement: Bachelors Degree
The Workforce1 Career Center (WF1CC) system operates in coordination with the NYC Department of Small Business Services (SBS) and the New York State Department of Labor (DOL) to provide recruitment, job training and business services through a variety of programs and locations throughout the five boroughs. Seedco operates 2 WF1CC under performance-based contracts from SBS. WF1CCs require the attention of professionals who are able to support major change initiatives, as well as ensure the success of a business-driven system.
Seedco is seeking qualified candidates for a full-time Career Advisor position at the Workforce1 Career Center. Career Advisors are responsible for providing job readiness services and activities for dislocated workers or unemployed adults who wish to enter the workforce, change careers, or explore new career options. Career Advisors are responsible for assessing jobseekers for job preparation services such as resume writing or interviewing skills, occupational training needs (ITG), making referrals to free occupational trainings, provide clear next steps, and make necessary job referrals. We are looking for motivated self-starters, who are eager to “do whatever it takes” to make the Career Center a model of employment and retention services. Candidates should have experience in Workforce Development or a related field, particularly in prevocational service delivery. Ability to understand and implement prevocational services in context of an outcome driven environment is crucial to success in this position.
- Provides one-on-one employment counseling to unemployed customers in need of intensive employment services.
- Conducts thorough assessment of customer skills and aptitudes and compares them against customer career goals.
- Assists customers develop Individual Employment Plans (IEP), identifying the steps required for each customer to ultimately secure employment aligned with the career goals outlined in their IEP.
- Review resumes and identify current job openings that match candidates’ skills and interests.
- Review and update customers’ resumes and make suggestions to match current market trends.
- Make referrals to resume writing and interviewing workshops.
- Input data into database and generate reports on job placement and retention results
- Refer all candidates to free occupational training or supportive services (Earn Benefits)
- Enter customer information and career plan in Worksource1 Services and Case Notes
- Assess and communicate clear and appropriate next steps for jobseekers who have not been placed to connect them with employment and/or other services
- Follow-up with candidates to assess their employment status and advise them on their job search
- Conduct ITG workshops/information sessions on occupational research, employment goal setting, and declare if training is right for the jobseeker
- Participate in the Case Conference Model by advocating for jobseekers who will complete and become employed after training
- Facilitate job readiness workshops (resume, interviewing skills).
- Connecting customers attending the job readiness workshops to employment opportunities in and outside of the center.
- Connect with Workforce1 Career Center jobseekers from the ITG Pipeline Report who have completed training but not been connected to employment
- Implement reengagement strategies that utilize group sessions, email blasts, texting, phone calls and use of incentives to ensure an 80% reengagement rate
- Coordinate with placement opportunities within the center including on-site recruitment events and job orders from a variety of sources (AMTs, New Locations, BSC, center-specific occupations) and determine how jobseekers can be connected to those opportunities
- Communicate how many customers are available for placement in each occupation represented in the ITG Pipeline to Account Managers to support business development and sourcing
- Coordinate dissemination and receipt of placement data from Training Providers on a monthly basis, including sending and receiving emails and following up with Training Providers via phone as needed
- Ensure all placement data is verified according to center policies and entered into Worksource1 in a timely manner so that it is entered in WS1 in time for the Monthly Report Card
- BA or BS degree in a related field
- Motivated and creative team player
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to assess individual skills with precision and make appropriate referrals
- Ability to problem solve and work with a diverse customer base
- Knowledge of current market trends
- Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do
- Bilingual skills in Spanish preferred
- Ability to work effectively in a high volume, performance based environment
- Ability to effectively interact and work with individuals with diverse backgrounds
- Direct social service experience, providing eligibility and service assessment services to low-income communities preferred
- Excellent computer skills and experience with database software