December 8, 2010 | Jobs & Internships
Seedco/Workforce1 Career Center
Full time position open – Career Coach
Type: Full-time Career Coach Position
Start Date: As soon as possible
Education Requirement: Bachelors Degree
The Workforce1 Career Center (WF1CC) system operates in coordination with the NYC Department of Small Business Services (SBS) and the New York State Department of Labor (DOL) to provide recruitment, job training and business services through a variety of programs and locations throughout the five boroughs. Seedco operates two WF1CCs under performance-based contracts from SBS. WF1CCs require the attention of professionals who are able to support major change initiatives, as well as ensure the success of a business-driven system.
Seedco seeks interested candidates to fill the position of Career Coach at WF1CC. The Career Coach uses a combination of “Cognitive and Solution Based” techniques to work one-on-one with all employed candidates. The Career Coach assesses and identifies appropriate career path for candidates to gain an upgrade and earn a higher income either through promotion with their current employer, or through job search with other employers. This is done by assessing jobseekers for job preparation services, training assessment (ITG), referral to onsite supportive services (Earn Benefits) and identifying appropriate next steps, either within or out of the center. Activities include individual and group coaching, case management, customer advocacy, education referral and job connections.
- Work with all employed candidates to identify appropriate action plan and career path using a combination of “Cognitive and Solution Based” techniques.
- Conduct orientations and registrations to provide candidates with an overview of the tailored services provided by the career coaches.
- Interview customers, assess their career goals and employment status and advise them on their job search utilizing relevant job market occupational information resources.
- Ascertain interests in career growth, identify gaps in training, education or experience that currently preclude career advancement, assisting candidates on developing an advancement plan, with timeline, designed to fill the gaps.
- Coach candidates to prepare themselves for appropriate promotion requests from their current employer.
- Review and update customers’ resume and identify current job openings from different sources (Craigslist, Center, BSC, Career Builder, Department of Labor, and SMART 2010) that match candidates’ skills and interests.
- Input data into database and generate reports on job placement and retention results
- Refer all candidates to Earn Benefits services – Health Insurance, POS Food Stamps, Financial and Legal services.
- Refer customers to outside partners for education and training services.
- Use the Individual Employment Plan (IEP) and interview jobseeker to asses and record customer’s needs assessment information in Worksource1 Services and Case Notes
- Assess and communicate clear and appropriate next steps for jobseekers who are seeking a wage upgrade to connect them with employment and/or other services
- Modify career plan according to changes in customer’s employment status.
- Monitor, evaluate and record customer’s progress towards employment goal and income upgrade.
- Increase employment market knowledge by reviewing literature, attending seminars and meetings, training workshops, or classes.
- Analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Providing information to supervisor, Small Business Services (SBS), co-workers, subordinates by, telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Conduct workshops/information sessions on occupational research, employment goal setting, and determine if training is right for the jobseeker and assisting employed candidates on support strategies for enhancing their promotional possibilities with their current employer.
- Participate in the Case Conference Model by advocating for jobseekers who will complete and become employed after training.
- Facilitate employment readiness workshops (how to ask for promotions, taking initiative, multi tasking).
- Connecting customers attending the Job Readiness Workshops to employment opportunities in and outside of the center.
- Connect with working customers to employment services
- Implement reengagement strategies that utilize group sessions, email blast, texting, and use of incentives to ensure an 80% reengagement rate and at least 50% upgrade rate
- Coordinate with placement opportunities within the center including on-site recruitment events and job orders from a variety of sources (AMTs, New Locations, BSC, center-specific) and determine how jobseekers can be connected to those opportunities
- Communicate how many working customers are available for placement in each occupation to Account Managers to support business development and sourcing
- Coordinate dissemination and receipt of placement data from working customers on a weekly and monthly basis, including sending and receiving emails and following up with each customer as needed
- Ensure all placement data is verified according to center policies and entered into Worksource1 in a timely manner so that it is entered in WS1 in time for the Monthly Report Card
- BA or BS degree in a related field
- Motivated and creative team player
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to assess individual skills with precision and make appropriate referrals
- Ability to problem solve and work with a diverse customer base
- Knowledge of human behavior and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, and interests, learning and motivation.
- Knowledge of principles and processes of providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standard for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.