December 17, 2010 | Jobs & Internships
The Residence Hall at Brooklyn College seeks applicants for the Residence Hall Director (RHD) position. The RHD manages a housing program for about 300 residents. The Director is responsible for leadership, planning, execution, and overall management of residence life programs and facilities. The RHD is a full-time, live-in position, responsible for the development of a residence hall community, responding to student concerns, staff supervision, and facility management.
Supervision and Staff Development:
- Supervise office assistants, maintenance staff, outside contractors, and residence assistance (RA)
- Select, train, and evaluate staff
General Management & Administration:
- Manage student residence halls housing 300 residents, collaborating with facilities services, building security, outside contractors, and information technology.
- Keep building up to NYC Fire and building codes
- Establish regular fire drill schedule
- Find, obtain, and maintain proposals for outside contracts
- Establish and implement policy and procedures, (e.g. move-in / move-out, guest privileges, etc)
- Coordinate with Brooklyn College to develop and maintain policies and programs
- Manage the housing application process
- Responsible for student safety and security
- Communicate, promote, and enforce Residence Hall Rules, Regulations, and Conflict Resolution process
- Act as hearing officer and process all judicial cases for student conduct. Determine sanctions for disciplinary incidents (e.g. guest policy violations, drug and alcohol, noise, etc)
- Advise students and address their personal and communal issues
- Designate rooms and assign roommates
- Foster an atmosphere of respect for individual differences and community values
- Provide on-call/on-duty emergency and crisis response for students.
- Provide facilitation for conflict resolution issues, assist students struggling with personal issues, and refer students to appropriate University and community resources.
- A minimum of three years management experience supervising university residence hall. Do not apply if you don’t have such experience.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required, with a Master’s degree in student affairs or related field preferred.
- A high energy, results-oriented professional capable of working independently and creatively with a diverse constituency of residential students
- Supervisory experience to provide effective leadership to a team of Campus Life Staff
- Strong management and administrative skills
- Must be a successful communicator, sensitive to student concerns and skillful in running an administrative office smoothly
- This position is subject to a comprehensive background screen, with employment contingent upon satisfactory results
For more info, contact:
Ron Yudovich y Residence Hall Director
Residence Hall @ Brooklyn College
1 Kenilworth Place y Brooklyn, NY 11210
Direct: 718.252.5000 ext. 301 y Fax: 718.252.5553