August 30, 2011 | Jobs & Internships
- SPORTS EDITOR
The Sports Marketing division of Topps is seeking a Sports Editor for our New York City headquarters. The successful candidate will be responsible for coordinating all aspects of the editorial process for sports products. Detail-oriented and organized multi-taskers with strong communication skills and sports knowledge will be particularly attracted to this challenging and rewarding position. The editor position will ultimately feed into a traditional brand marketing role, so the candidate will be expected to gain exposure to the brand marketing and product development process.
- Duties & Responsibilities
- Coordinate the editorial process for sports products.
- Support brand team in developing brand marketing plans and brand strategy.
- Develop project teams and outline critical paths, details, timelines and deliverables.
- Assist in managing and tracking the roll-out of multiple marketing projects and ensuring their successful completion by monitoring the overall status of projects including costs, timing and staffing.
- Assist in coordinating packaging design with creative services team.
- Select photography from database, library and vendors for cards, packaging, and solicitations.
- Ensure selected photos are appropriate, of a high quality, and meet card design league-mandated requirements.
- Scale and crop images when necessary.
- Assist with the management of the photography budget and maintain database of images.
- Develop and maintain player/subject lists.
- Develop back content and text for cards and inserts.
- Review card proofs for content accuracy (back copy, stats, vitals, team names, player names, positions, and card numbers) and image integrity, ensuring match between photo and subject.
- Identify photos on all cards, packaging, and solicitation proofs.
- Manage product development deadlines such as photo turnover and card design content.
- Manage photographers and make assignments for products.
- Work with the sports licensing department to ensure rights of all subjects have been attained.
- Assist sports marketing with product development and creative ideas.
- Proactively scrutinize product schedules for conflicts and potential problems.
- Keep apprised of player trades and signings and maintain accuracy of subject list.
- Maintain knowledge of current events the assigned sport and develop knowledge of player quality and performance.
- Participate in all elements of consumer marketing/promotions, consumer research and analysis, advertising, trade promotion, financial analysis and budget management, with the expectation to gradually contribute.
Skills & Abilities
- Proven ability to multi-task, juggle multiple projects and effectively determine priorities
- Strong computer skills – working knowledge of web-based applications, Mac OS, Word & Excel
- Excellent communication skills – written and oral
- Proven ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve unexpected issues quickly and efficiently
- Basic grasp of fundamentals of marketing
Education & Qualifications
- Experience in a sports-related industry beneficial.
- College degree or equivalent in Marketing, Sports Management or similar field desirable.
- Comprehensive knowledge of sports.
Please send resumes to Desiree at: Desiree.Flores@labor.ny.gov