The CUNY Citizenship Now! Volunteer Corps
In 2006, CUNY created the Volunteer Corps through a partnership between CUNY Citizenship Now! and the New York City Mayor’s Office for Immigrant Affairs (MOIA) to organize New Yorkers interested in volunteering to help immigrants become U.S. citizens. More than ten years later, the Volunteer Corps continues to be a growing community of close to 5,000 individuals from various backgrounds who are passionate about immigrants’ rights, immigration law, and public service. Members of the Volunteer Corps speak over 50 languages and are not just attorneys, paralegals, and law students but many other committed individuals that thrive on helping others. Because of the commitment of the Volunteer Corps, CUNY Citizenship Now! assists over 2, 100 immigrants and their families at our community events each year.
By registering as a member of the Volunteer Corps you become part of our nationally recognized model for assisting immigrant communities. You will gain special access to training opportunities and will be invited to volunteer at our events, centers and with partner organizations. Our volunteers most often assist with bi-monthly citizenship application events and have also helped us respond to new developments such as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and Temporary Protected Status (TPS). Volunteers have also participated in the week-long CUNY/Daily News Citizenship NOW! Call-in, where callers receive free, confidential information on immigration issues.
By joining the CUNY Citizenship Now! Volunteer Corps you will:
- Gain hands-on experience and training by experts in the immigration field.
- Assist immigrants in overcoming barriers to naturalization and help them become U.S. citizens.
- Connect with a diverse group of people from all over the world.
- Network with fellow volunteers and CUNY Citizenship Now! staff members.
- Meet many of New York’s influential public officials who co-sponsor events.
- Receive CUNY Citizenship Now! communications, including our event and training invites, newsletters and job announcements.
- Earn special recognition from CUNY Citizenship Now! by being featured in our publications and on our website.
- Gain leadership experience through roles at our events and trainings or by applying to become a member of our Volunteer Advisory Committee.
- Fulfill pro bono requirements for law students and attorneys.
ABOUT THE CORPS
Meet Our Volunteer Engagement Coordinator
I, too, was a member of the Volunteer Corps. Now, as the Volunteer Engagement Coordinator, I am privileged to combine two passions: Giving back to the community and helping others to do so. Contact me if you have any questions or concerns; I’ll be happy to assist you!