Your Starting Point is Here!
Math Start is CUNY Start’s 8-week intervention that prepares students for success in college by fostering their full math potential. In a social, collaborative learning environment, students access the support they need to increase their understanding of math so that they can meet CUNY’s proficiency standards and thrive as CUNY college students.
- Costs just $35, including materials
- Provides Free MTA MetroCards
- Fast-tracks your learning in just 8-weeks
- Offers classes year round
- Provides dedicated teachers and expert advisors to support your long-term college success
- Saves tuition and financial aid dollars for credit courses that count toward your degree
- Provides a next-step pathway to CUNY’s ASAP, a program that provides academic, financial and social supports once you begin taking credit courses, and keeps on track to graduate on time.
Math Start operates on ten (10) CUNY campuses:
Math Start offers both a daytime and evening schedule:
- DAYTIME SCHEDULE: 8 weeks; 20 hours of instruction per week
- EVENING SCHEDULE: 10 weeks; 12-14 hours of instruction per week
- All students attend academic math and a series of college success seminars
Watch our videos to learn more about Math Start’s academic instruction and college success advisement!
Learn about the magic of Math Start in Under 5 Minutes! Math Start is CUNY Start’s intensive 8-week program for CUNY students who want to increase their math proficiency before starting credit-bearing classes. This overview provides a brief glimpse of the program’s student-centered classroom environment, dedicated team of teachers and advisors, and students’ experiences in the program.
Curriculum & Instruction
Math Start is based on CUNY Start’s curriculum and instructional approach. Building on students’ existing math knowledge, this course emphasizes conceptual understanding through in-depth study of core pre-algebra and algebra topics. The program also offers college success advisement where students explore and grow their academic identity and learn strategies to connect with campus resources and programs.
Math Start employs CUNY Start’s signature student-centered approach as the foundation to all learning; the most valuable lessons occur when teachers encourage students to explain their thinking and assess ideas themselves. Hear from Math Start alumni about their experiences in the program and how Math Start has helped them Start Strong in college.