Executive Committee, 867th Meeting
Tuesday, February 24, 2015
9:30 a.m., 205 E. 42nd Street
- Adoption of the Agenda
- Adoption of the Minutes of February 3, 2015
- Old Business
- Spring Conference proposal
- Review FGL highlights
- Experiential Learning requirement
- Community College faculty fellowships renewed
- New Business
- Liaisons to Standing Committees/Chairs of Advisory Committees, etc.
The meeting was called to order by the Chair, Terrence Martell, at 9:30 a.m. in room 963 of Board Headquarters. Also present were: Kathleen Barker, Michael Barnhart, Manfred Philipp, Kay Conway, Jay Weiser, Phil Pecorino, Karen Kaplowitz, and Emily Tai.
- Adoption of the Agenda – Adopted as proposed.
- Adoption of the Minutes – Adopted as proposed.
- Old Business
- Spring Conference proposals – The Committee voted to do Globalizing Education in the Spring (April 24), but with the proviso that the topics be narrowed down considerably. The other suggested topic of CUNY’s relationship to the K-12 system was left for the fall conference.
- Charter Amendments – Prof. Kaplowitz suggested that some uses of the Secretary and Treasurer positions had possibly been overlooked, and that perhaps they shouldn’t be deleted. For example, some former chairs had used the Officers for specialized tasks. Other members argued that specialized tasks should be performed by the appropriate BoT committee representative, or that since abolishing the titles was a compromise the Committee had agreed on to address the need for more turnover on the Executive Committee, that whole topic would have to be revisited. In a vote of 5-4, the deletion of the titles was kept in for forwarding to the plenary.
- New Business
- Motion from Prof. Petratos at plenary opposing the non-indictment a police officer in Ferguson, MO – It was agreed in an 8-1 vote that a resolution on this topic was not appropriate for the UFS (in fact that it would be out of order) because it was not germane to governance.
- Joint Statement with SUNY on Shared Governance (final version) – Noted.
- Adopt Plenary Agenda – The draft was approved.
- Liaisons to Standing Committees/Reps to Board of Trustee Committees – A few brief reports were given.
- Chair – *Prof. Louise Hainline (Psychology, Brooklyn) was approved as a member of the Budget Advisory Committee. *Rick Schaffer had advised that he wished to consult with the new UFS Committee on Academic Affairs about a possible university-wide policy on faculty’s use of their own textbooks in classes they teach. *The Libraries Committee would like to release a statement to the faculty alerting them to the risks of using non-CUNY-supported software; no policy exists on this subject. *Bob Ptachik would like to enlist Profs. Benton and Barnhart to run a pilot at one campus to see whether Big Data might somehow facilitate better class scheduling.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 12:25 p.m.