Executive Committee, 875th Meeting
Tuesday, Nov. 10, 2015
205 E. 42nd Street, Room 1002
- Adoption of the Agenda
- Adoption of the Minutes
- Chancellor Milliken and Provost Rabinowitz, 10:00 a.m.
- Vice Chancellor Rick Schaffer and Trustee Valerie Beale, Chair of FSA, on revisions to Presidential Search Guidelines (attached are two possible versions) – 10:30 a.m.
- Old Business
- Fall/spring conferences (fall program enclosed)
- New Business
- UFS Student Affairs Chair/Co-Chair
- Survey by CCNY faculty on satisfaction with Research Foundation (enclosed)
- Set FGL Agenda (draft attached)
- Liaisons to Standing Committees/Reps to Board Committees, etc.
The meeting was called to order by the Chair, Terrence Martell, at 8:30 a.m. in room 963 of Board Headquarters. Also present were: Kathleen Barker, Hugo Fernandez, Kay Conway, Jay Weiser, Phil Pecorino, Emily Tai, and Michael Barnhart.
- Adoption of the Agenda – Adopted as proposed.
- Adoption of the Minutes – Adopted as proposed.
- Old Business
- A “21st Century CUNY” responses received by UFS – The UFS had received about 8 responses from faculty who copied us on their written submissions to the CUNY website about CUNY in the 21st Century; they were included in the packet. The Chancellor did not feel able to send a preview copy of the steering committees report to the UFS.
- Planning for a joint meeting with USS Exec about pending legislation – The Chair had spoken with some students without getting a clear impression of whether they support the pending Albany registration that would tie tuition increases to a State promise to cover mandatory costs. Still, a meeting of some kind would be planned between select members of student leaders, the Exec, and Matt Sapienza.
- Taking a joint approach with SUNY UFS/FCCC on higher ed funding – All agreed that at least a joint letter to the Governor would be worth doing. The Chair would work on a draft.
- Fall/spring conferences – Progress.
- New Business
- Resolution from Prof. Zevin – Prof. Zevin would be asked to turn his resolution into a blogpost on the UFS website.
- Approve Plenary Agenda – The draft was approved. Questions were prepared for Provost Rabinowitz.
- Liaisons to Standing Committees/Reps to Board Committees, etc. – None were given.
- Chair – The Chair had to leave early and gave no report.
- The COACHE survey and its distribution campus by campus was discussed. About half of campus provosts had distributed at least one of the two COACHE reports to faculty, but many campuses made no effort to help faculty understand how to read the results. All agreed that the minimal requirement should be that provosts distribute both reports to faculty, form a task force to analyze the results and then make collaborative recommendations to ameliorate problems disclosed by the survey.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 11:25 a.m.