Executive Committee, 876th Meeting
Tuesday, Nov. 24, 2015
205 E. 42nd Street, Room 1002
- Adoption of the Agenda
- Adoption of the Minutes
- Anthony Knerr, Managing Director, AKA Strategy, consultant to CUNY on 21st Century CUNY Framework, 10 a.m.
- Old Business
- Debrief of Fall Conference
- New Business
- Set Plenary Agenda (draft attached)
- Liaisons to Standing Committees/Reps to Board Committees, etc.
The meeting was called to order by the Chair, Terrence Martell, at 9:00 a.m. in room 1002 of Board Headquarters. Also present were: Kathleen Barker, Hugo Fernandez, Kay Conway, Jay Weiser, Phil Pecorino, Emily Tai, and Michael Barnhart.
- Adoption of the Agenda – Adopted as proposed.
- Adoption of the Minutes – Adopted as proposed.
- Chancellor Milliken – The Chancellor discussed two topics: (1) the recent offer by CUNY of a 6% increase on the next PSC contract for faculty, HEOs, etc. He pointed out that in assessing the offer one should keep in mind that step increases amounting to $45 million were paid over the past several years, as well as the funding of adjunct health coverage. Some adjuncts would also be eligible for 3-year contracts under the offer. (2) He handed out copies of a PowerPoint presentation defending the good that rational tuition increases can do, showing the benefits and value that flows to all constituencies.
- Vice Chancellor Rick Schaffer and Trustee Valerie Beale, Chair of FSA (joining Chancellor Milliken) on proposed revisions to Presidential Search Guidelines – The three wished to consult with the UFS about certain proposed revisions to the Presidential Search Guidelines which they thought would improve the pool of candidates. Chair Martell and Prof. Barker had worked out a response or compromise which included allowing candidates to talk to campus groups but off-campus when the candidates’ identities were not being made public.
- Old Business
- Fall/spring conferences – The fall Program was circulated. Discussion of a topic for spring was omitted.
- New Business
- UFS Student Affairs Chair/Co-Chair – Prof. James McElwaine was approved to act as co-chair with Prof. Lawton to the standing committee on Student Affairs.
- Survey by CCNY faculty on satisfaction with Research Foundation – Noted.
- Set FGL Agenda – The draft was approved.
- Liaisons to Standing Committees/Reps to Board Committees – Waived due to the hour.
- Chair – The Chair had been invited by Provost Rabinowitz to accompany her to a meeting about structural changes being contemplated for the School of Public Health. Since it was a governance issue, she wanted him to be present for the sake of transparency. The Chair had met with SUNY UFS Chair Peter Knuepfer and had spoken to the FCCC via teleconference. He gave a heads up that Anthony Knerr, the consultant on CUNY in the 21st century would shortly being making the rounds to faculty groups including the FGLs. Finally, a group of faculty at CCNY had done a survey of faculty satisfaction with the Research Foundation. The results were almost totally negative, but there were valid reservations about the survey’s methodology and soundness.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 11:25 a.m.