Executive Committee, 889th Meeting
Tuesday, March 21st 2017
205 E. 42nd Street, Room 0962
- Adoption of the Agenda
- Adoption of the Minutes of February 28th, 2016
- Old Business
- Spring conference on governance – update on registration; outreach to speakers
- Meeting Space for future Discipline Council Meetings
- New Business
- Discuss/Approve Plenary agenda (enclosed)
- Discussion of Campus Climate Materials (distributed)
- Discussion of University Professorships at CUNY (distributed)
- Disciplinary Councils—updates and next steps
- Discussion of FGL Presentation on Faculty Diversity
- Discussion of Tuition Increase Resolution
- Discipline Councils Meeting; next steps, recommendations (notes enclosed)
- Chair’s campus visits
The meeting was called to order by the Chair, Katherine Conway, at 9:30 a.m. Also present were Professors Kathleen Barker, Michael Barnhart, Hugo Fernandez, Emily Tai, Jay Weiser, and Philip Pecorino.
- Adoption of the Agenda—as proposed
- Adoption of the Minutes of February 28th, 2016—as proposed, with stylistic modifications moving forward
- Old Business
- Spring conference on governance – update on registration; outreach to speakers—Executive Director Matthew Cotter discussed his efforts and the committee recommended that another reminder be sent to the UFS listerve. At present 53 presenters and attendees are registered.
- New Business
- Meeting Space for future Discipline Council Meetings—Chair Conway discussed the recent DC meeting and that a few DC chairpersons’ expressed need for meeting space at CO. Also discussed was the strengths and weaknesses of the proposed 12/6 calendar plan. A request was made for distribution and allocation of PSC grants.
- Discuss/Approve Plenary agenda—The Agenda was discussed and modified as a consequence. Trustee William Thompson, Jr. and SUNY UFS President Peter L. K. Knuepfer are confirmed. Chancellor James Milliken will also attend but not speak.
- Discussion of Campus Climate Materials—Vice Chair Barker commented that the meeting with Campus Hill Partners was too brief to report on substantively. Discussion ensued over the materials distributed.
- Discussion of University Professorships at CUNY—Chair Conway and Vice Chair Barker reiterated their concerns over the lack of transparency in the UP appointment process.
- Disciplinary Councils—updates and next steps—Chair Conway and the UFS Executive Director will collaborate on building its membership.
- Discussion of FGL Presentation on Faculty Diversity—EC discussed the extant challenges CUNY faces regarding diversity, and members described their individual campus challenges. Points were made, both supportive and critical, about the various policies and procedures advanced on each campus and those overseen by CO. It was agreed to invite a representative from the CO office of diversity to the May 2017 plenary to discuss current thinking and programs.
- Discussion of Student Affairs Resolution—the Resolution was discussed and approved, and will be presented to the next UFS plenary for discussion and a vote.
- Discipline Councils Meeting; next steps, recommendations—the DC notes were distributed but not discussed. Chair Conway referred to the earlier discussion over space.
- Chair’s campus visits—Chair Conway discussed her visits to various campuses and the issues that were raised—from salaries, campus governance, the proposed 12/6 calendar format, and Information Technology strategies.
The meeting adjourned at 12:35 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by Matthew J. Cotter