Executive Committee, 891st Meeting
Tuesday, May 2nd, 2017
9:30 a.m.
205 E. 42nd Street, Room 1002

Agenda

  1. Adoption of the Agenda
  2. Adoption of the Minutes of April 4th, 2017
  3. Old Business
    1. Spring Conference Recap
    2. Guidelines for Presidential Searches (materials enclosed)
    3. Guidelines for Vice Presidential Searches
    4. Fall Conference—Strategies, Planning, and Updates
    5. Update on Committee on Academic Affairs—Prof. Burke
  4. Guests: EVC Vita Rabinowitz (update: discussion will now be over lunch) to briefly discuss/update the EC on Developmental Education, Chancellor’s recent academic initiatives, OER, and mentoring per the recent FAAB meeting
  5. New Business
    1. Excelsior Scholarship Updates
    2. Brief update on the UFS Website—Matthew J. Cotter
  6. Reports
    1. Chair

NOTES:

  • Ask all EC if their 2017-8 committees have been scheduled
  • Conference checklist
  • Who should chair the Standing Committees?
  • Organization meeting: week of June 12th?
  • Plenary invitees/agenda items

Minutes

The meeting was called to order by the Chair, Katherine Conway, at 9:30 a.m. Also present were Professors Kathleen Barker, Michael Barnhart, Martin Burke, Hugo Fernandez, Emily Tai, Jay Weiser, and Philip Pecorino.

  1. Adoption of the Agenda – As Proposed
  2. Adoption of the Minutes of April 4th, 2017 – As Proposed
  3. Old Business
    1. Spring Conference Recap – Discussion revolved around whether or not to communicate to those faculty who registered and did not attend and, if the EC wished to, in what manner they should. Discussion also included strategies for organizing successful conferences in the future. Chair Conway proposed some form of commendation to Presidents or Provosts who demonstrates the core principles of shared governance. The motion was postponed for the fall.
    2. Guidelines for Presidential Searches (materials enclosed) – The proposed language from the previous EC meeting was discussed further, and Chair Conway indicated that there was some support for it from BoT Chair Thompson and Jane Sovern.
    3. Guidelines for Vice Presidential Searches – Prof. Pecorino discussed his concerns over diminished transparency and faculty involvement regarding Vice Presidential searches at QCC. Prof. Barker seconded these concerns as they applied to Medgar Evers. The EC agreed to request of Vice Chancellor Ginger Waters greater communicative transparency and faculty or FGL consultation and/or inclusion when forming search committees moving forward.
    4. Fall Conference—Strategies, Planning, and Updates – Professors Burke and Barker apprised the EC on those who have confirmed their participation. Concerns over programming, intended audience, and budgets were discussed as well, and it was agreed that a “save the date” flyer will be distributed at the final UFS Plenary Session. Executive Director Cotter agreed to follow up with the UFS via email over the summer into the fall semester.
    5. Update on Committee on Academic Affairs — Prof. Burke updated the EC that the committee is now fully staffed. He then mentioned the themes with which it was charged this year: developmental/remedial education, online education, and the challenges associated with Master’s degrees at the Graduate Center. In light of Prof. Burke’s comments Chair Conway then discussed potential questions/issues to be raised at the lunch with EVC Rabinowitz.
  4. Guests: EVC Vita Rabinowitz – the EVC to briefly discuss/update the EC on Developmental Education, Chancellor’s recent academic initiatives, OER, and mentoring per the recent FAAB meeting
  5. New Business
    1. Excelsior Scholarship Updates – Prof. Barnhart discussed his recent dialogue with CUNY CO officers about the drafted description of the scholarship and some of the procedural, scheduling, and fiscal challenges it faces. He recommended that the EC revisit the matter in the fall once the legislation from Albany is finalized. Discussion over the merits of a 12-6 semester model would ensure student success at the campuses.
    2. Brief update on the UFS Website – Executive Director Cotter indicated that he and Office Assistant Stasia Pasela are undergoing training for the new website, especially WordPress, and are collaborating with Jan Munn from CUNY’s Office of Information Technology. Discussion then moved to planning the Organization Meeting and the staffing of UFS committees for the next year. Then the upcoming elections were discussed.
  6. Reports
    1. Chair

Respectfully submitted,

Matthew J. Cotter