Executive Committee, 901st Meeting
Tuesday, April 17, 2018
9:30 a.m., 205 E. 42nd Street
Room 1002

AGENDA

  1. Adoption of the Agenda
  2. Adoption of Minutes from March 27, 2018
  3. Old Business:
    1. Update/Discussion of Fall 2018 Workshop – Hugo Fernandez and James McElwaine
  4. New Business:
    1. Discussion on CUNY Naming and Gift Guidelines – Michael Barnhart
    2. CCNY – Combined Degree Programs; Excellence Fees – Kay Conway
    3. Enrollment Management Committee Structure – Kathleen Barker
    4. Draft Resolution from Status of the Faculty Committee (attached)
    5. Proposed Resolution on Faculty Email Access (attached)
    6. Proposed April 24th Plenary Agenda Items
  5. Reports:
    1. Chair

Lunch with EVC Rabinowitz will take place at upstairs at 11:45 a.m., Room 1835

MINUTES

  1. Adoption of the Agenda – Adopted as Proposed
  2. Adoption of Minutes from March 27, 2018 – Adopted as Proposed
  3. Old Business:
    1. Update/Discussion of Fall 2018 Workshop – Hugo Fernandez and James McElwaine – Prof. McElwaine proposed a workshop dedicated to examining the correlation between student success rates and various CUNY initiatives, such as the ASAP program. There was concerns about the topic’s appeal to a broad group of faculty. The session might have greater appeal to student affairs personnel, which is not the UFS’ primary audience.   After some discussion it was decided to continue refining the topics further.
  4. New Business:
    1. Discussion on CUNY Naming and Gift Guidelines – Michael Barnhart – Prof. Barnhart briefly discussed the revised naming policies and procedures in the CUNY Manual of General Policy and their justifications, paying particular attention to the newly determined contribution tiers. Executive Director Cotter will circulate a chart detailing these changes via email.
    2. CCNY – Combined Degree Programs; Excellence Fees – Kay Conway – Chair Conway noted that per OAA, the NYS Dept. of Higher Education would no longer approve combined degree programs (either Associates/Baccalaureate or Baccalaureate/Masters). Mr. Kenneth Norz, University Director of Academic Affairs will be meeting with the Academic Affairs Committee and Prof. Burke will report to the Executive Committee on the rationale behind this change. Chair Conway discussed several recently proposed Academic Excellence Fees. The BOT Fiscal Affairs committee has requested that SVC Sapienza prepare a process memorandum for the committee’s review. Several programs throughout the University instituted fees to offset budgetary shortfalls and/or enhance the academic offerings of the underlying program.  Discussion revolved around the role of campus faculty governance in approving the fees and their expenditure. Prof. Burke noted how anomalous the Graduate School was to the entire budgetary process, and Chair Conway suggested that perhaps it was time to revisit the governing structure at that institution to render it more aligned with the rest of the University. On the topic of governance, Prof. Pecorino noted the governing challenges that remain at the School of Professional Studies and the proposed Murphy School for Labor Studies.
    3. Enrollment Management Committee Structure – Kathleen Barker – this item was tabled for a future date. Barker reported that the VOE deadline for submission of attendance will remain at 21 days (there was some discussion at Enrollment Management about changing it back to eight days; the Exec committee recommended 21).
    4. Draft Resolution from Status of the Faculty Committee – the Committee perused the document and discussed changes to a few of its sections, especially those regarding the value of eliminating those candidates for promotion who have not gone through standard P & B processes. After some discussion Profs. Barnhart and Pecorino suggested revisions to the resolution, emphasizing the importance of following P & B processes for all promotions. Barnhart will share the recommendations with the S of F committee.
    5. Proposed Resolution on Faculty Email Access – Prof. Pecorino led a discussion on his proposed resolution; discussion ensued and the resolution revised. Prof. Pecorino will share the suggested resolution with the FGLs at their upcoming meeting and recommend they bring it to their governance bodies for a vote.
    6. Proposed April 24th Plenary Agenda Items – The agenda was discussed and amended accordingly. Executive Director Cotter will include with the Plenary agenda the draft changes to the Sexual Misconduct Policy as an information item. The Student Affairs committee is reviewing the document. Discussion then revolved around CUNY public safety policies and procedures across the University. CUNY’s Safety Director, William Barry will be invited to a Fall FGL.
  5. Reports:
    1. Chair – During a review of topics for discussion with Provost Rabinowitz, who would be meeting with the Exec at 11:45, a fire alarm sounded and the meeting adjourned at 11:25 a.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Matthew J. Cotter