Executive Committee, 900th Meeting
Tuesday, March 27, 2018
9:30 a.m., 205 E. 42nd Street
Room 1002

AGENDA

  1. Adoption of the Agenda
  2. Adoption of Minutes from February 27, 2018
  3. Old Business:
    1. Update/Discussion of Fall 2018 UFS Conference – Karen Kaplowitz and Emily Tai
    2. Update/Discussion on Student Activity Fees (SAF)
    3. Budget Workshop Update
  4. New Business:
    1. Faculty Email Usage – Philip Pecorino
    2. Discussion: Best Communication Practices
    3. Discussion: Dissemination of Committee on Academic Technology Notes
  5. Reports:
    1. Chair
    2. Academic Affairs – Martin Burke
    3. Library and Information Technology – Philip Pecorino

MINUTES

  1. Adoption of the Agenda – Adopted As Proposed
  2. Adoption of Minutes from February 27, 2018 – Adopted As Proposed
  3. Old Business:
    1. Update/Discussion of Fall 2018 UFS Conference – Karen Kaplowitz and Emily Tai – After some discussion it was decided to table the conference and to offer a workshop in its place. Profs. Fernandez and McElwaine have been charged with proposing a topic and organizing the event. Kaplowitz reported that the conference topic of interest, most selected by plenary attendees in our informal poll, was student success.
    2. Update/Discussion on Student Activity Fees (SAF) – Professors Fernandez and Tai updated the committee on the various aspects of the ongoing litigation surrounding and the status of the proposed revisions to CUNY’s student fees policy, viz., how they were allocated, administered, and expended. Discussion revolved around the existing policies and available governing procedures open to students in response to the proposed changes, especially the referendum. Further discussion involved what contributions the Executive Committee might make to either opposing the policy changes or what they might recommend as alternatives. It was agreed that Prof. Fernandez would motion to cleave some of the proposed revisions, for further discussion at the upcoming Board of Trustee Committee on Student Affairs. Specifically he will reiterate the suggestion that Chair Conway has previously made to the BOT, that we separate, and act on only what is legally necessary at this time, from other proposed changes,
    3. Budget Workshop Update – Executive Director Cotter Shared with the committee the number of attendees hitherto and was asked by Chair Conway to reach out to those campuses who have not yet replied. Members of the Exec were asked to contact their own campus delegations.
  4. New Business:
    1. Faculty Email Usage – Philip Pecorino – Prof. Pecorino distributed drafts of a document on the matter, and after some discussion, it was agreed that the matter would be reverted to the FGLs for future discussion. Prof. Pecorino agreed to prepare a formal statement for them to circulate, and Prof. Tai agreed to write a blog post based on the FGLs responses. It was also agreed that the document would be circulated to the next UFS Plenary for informational purposes.
    2. Discussion: Best Communication Practices – Chair Conway raised the matter of best practices regarding communication among UFS senators independent of the extant UFS-GLF listserve. After considerable discussion of the challenges facing open fora among the senators, it was advised that the creation of alternative listserves or any other platform for discussions not germane to UFS business was not prudent at this juncture. Chair Conway noted that the matter will be revisited at a later date.
    3. Discussion: Dissemination of Committee on Academic Technology Notes – there was no time to discuss this matter; but previously it was recommended that Prof. Pecorino request to George Otte and CAT, that the document be circulated on each campus
  5. Reports:
    1. Chair – Chair Conway updated the committee on her recent discussion with Brian Cohen, and noted that she will be following up with him on various concerns such as tech fees, the transfer of courses, and changes to the existing iCloud policy. Prof. Barker also requested that we inquire how Akademos might be changed in CUNYFirst to include prior edition of textbooks. Conway agreed to add this to her list of questions for VC Cohen. She asked Prof. McElwaine to update the committee on his collaboration with SUNY regarding contingent faculty. He agreed to prepare a one-pager for distribution at the April Plenary Session on the current crisis in higher education and its abject reliance on contingent faculty. Chair Conway asked Executive Director Cotter for an update on requests made to the BOT by the UFS for follow up on Board resolutions or policies, as well as other items approved by the BOT that should necessitate subsequent reporting.  Director Cotter noted that a report was prepared and sent to Prof. Pecorino for review and feedback, and that his office was awaiting information on next steps. Chair Conway then discussed the recent Board of Trustees meetings and the chancellor’s search, which is ongoing.
    2. Academic Affairs – Martin Burke – Prof. Burke updated the Executive Committee on upcoming meeting with the Office of Academic Affairs. Prof. Conway asked Prof. Burke if his committee could inquire into what, if anything is happening with regard to new program development, specifically how CUNY looks at program development holistically. Chair Conway asked if the AAC could ask for an update on the central librarian search as well.
    3. Library and Information Technology – Philip Pecorino – Prof. Pecorino updated the committee on recent discussions regarding open access policies and what next steps there were for CUNY Central Offices. The central point of contention was how Open Access (OA) impacted questions of intellectual property and research and publication. After some discussion, it was recommended that he follow up with Prof. Gwen Kay, President of the SUNY Faculty Senate, as SUNY has passed resolutions in this regard.

There being no further business the meeting adjourned at 12:45 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Matthew J. Cotter