The 395th Plenary Session
of The University Faculty Senate
of The City University Of New York
Room 0818, 205 E. 42nd Street
Tuesday, Oct. 25, 2016
- Approval of the Agenda
- Approval of the Minutes of Sept. 30, 2016
- Invited Guests
- University Dean Robert Ptachik for an Enrollment Update, 6:30 p.m.
- SUNY UFS Chair Peter Knuepfer, 7:00 p.m.
- New Business
- Representatives to Board of Trustees committees (oral and/or written)
- Community College Caucus, 3:30 pm, Room 0962
- Status of the Faculty, 4:15 pm, Room 1179
- Student Affairs, 4:15 pm, Room 1002
Social starts at 6:00 p.m. Light refreshments will be served.
Baruch: Present – Harel, Weiser, and Wine. Absent – Bazzoni, Edwards Ellis, Martell, Pence, and Wymbs. BMCC: Present – Carson, Conway, Freas, Salam, and Wiseman. Absent – Bratsis, Gosslau, Perdomo, and Tsiklauri. Vacancies – 1. Bronx CC: Present – Harris, Kossak, Lawton, and Stewart-Titus. Absent – Edwards. Vacancies – 1. Brooklyn: Present – Chu, Cohen, Hainline, Queneau, and Wild. Absent – Adams, Ebert, Fox, Haggerty, Okome, and Sowers. CCNY: Present – Binz-Scharf, Brass, Crain, Kornhauser, Li, and Stemberg. Absent – Dalglish, Jeruzalmi, Miller, and Raj. CSI: Present – Lavender, Petratos, and Simpson. Absent – Cason, Feola, Sanchez, and Verzani. CUNY Law School: Present – Sokkar-Harker. Absent – Kassem. Graduate Center: Present – Burke, Giannikos, and Nolan. Absent – Dauben, McDougall, and Wunder. Hostos CC: Present – Trachman, Worrell, and Alternates August and Bollinger. Absent – Ostrin and Pimentel. Hunter: Present – Hickman, Kuhn-Osius, McCauley, and Nicolai. Absent – Albrecht, Ramasubramanian, Walsh, Wirtz, and Young. Vacancies – 3. John Jay: Present – Crossman, Domashevskiy, Kaplowitz, Katz, and Kimora. Absent – Dunham, Kapstein, and Tovar. Kingsborough CC: Present – Barnhart, Feeley, Spear, and Stubin. Absent – Hume, Majewicz, and Nagel. LaGuardia CC: Present – Albrecht, Berke, Fernandez, Keyes, Licari, Seo, and Alternate Burdick. Lehman: Present – Alexander-Street and Duncker. Absent – Doyran, Jervis, Jitianu, Rice, and Tilley. Medgar Evers: Present – Barker and Lashley. Absent – Franz and Grazette. NYCCT: Present – Hounion and Okumakpeyi. Absent – Bennani, Gelman, Grujicic-Alatriste, Van Loon, and Williams. Queens: Present – Brody, McElwaine, Sanudo, Savage, and Alternate Harris. Absent – Costigan, Gandhi, Grover, Leites, Nelson, Vesselinov, and Zevin. Queensborough CC: Present – Counihan, Ford, Pecorino, Tai, and Alternates Holden, Mann and Ward. Absent – Meltzer, Murley, and Rossi-Miller. York: Absent – Bowman, Cleary, Gerena, Grosskopf, and Rooney.
Governance Leaders present included: Burke (GC), Pecorino (QCC), Saint-Louis (Guttman), Sanudo (Queens) and Wallach (Hunter). Guests present: Stefan Baumrin (GC), Lloyd Klein (Hostos), Teresa Ober (Student, GC), Robert Ptachik, Senior University Dean for the Executive Office and Enrollment, Clare Norton, Director of Recruitment, and Peter Knuepfer, President of the SUNY Faculty Senate. Executive Director Phipps, Administrative Assistant Pasela, and Secretary Blanchard were also present.
The meeting was called to order by UFS Chair Katherine Conway at 6:30 p.m. in Room 818 at 205 E. 42nd Street, NYC. Seventy of the 139 voting members were present.
- Approval of the Agenda – The agenda was adopted as proposed.
- Approval of the Minutes of October 25, 2016 – The minutes were adopted as proposed.
- Invited Guests
- University Dean Robert Ptachik – Dean Ptachik was present to give an enrollment update; with him was Clare Norton from the Admissions Office. Dean Ptachik walked through a set of Power Point slides (attached to these minutes), which was followed by Q & A. For details, see pp. 1-2 of the Chair’s Notes (attached to these minutes).
- SUNY UFS Chair Peter Knuepfer – Chair Knuepfer made one of his occasional visits to report on SUNY Faculty Senate activities and to hear about CUNY Faculty Senate activities, with appropriate comparing and contrasting. For details, see the Chair’s Notes, p. 2.
- New Business
- Prof. Stemberg, an adjunct at CCNY, relayed concerns that the pilot program for two- and three-year adjunct appointments in the new Contract is not clear or consistent across campuses, and that there are no guidelines for how decisions will be made. No action was taken.
- Prof. Crain wished to make a motion that the UFS oppose the tuition increase being voted on by the Board of Trustees the following day. A quorum was called and found lacking. Chair Conway said the Executive Committee was working on clearer rules about motions brought from the floor without notice. No action was taken.
- Prof. Giannakos suggested flipping the order of the agenda in the future to allow first for internal discussion among senators on the issues of the day, and then having speakers come toward the end of meetings.
- Chair (excerpts from her Notes)
Fiscal Affairs met for the second time in anticipation of the Board of Trustees meeting and the vote on the budget. The operating budget includes a request from NYC for more support for the senior colleges, as well as a request for funds to reduce the teaching load. The budget proposal also includes a request to increase tuition by $250 at the senior colleges and $100 at the community colleges. The largest source is NYS, at 54% (including TAP), followed by tuition, which comprises 22% of CUNY’s funding, and NYC 11%. The new budget request reduces NYS’s portion to 53% but increases the city portion to 13%; the tuition portion remains unchanged. The Board of Trustees passed the budget with one nay and one abstention.
At the Fiscal Affairs meeting, we received a copy of the FY2016 third quarter financial report. The year-end data will be available shortly. Please note this report has data for each individual college. In your budget committee meetings you can use this data as a starting point for conversations. In addition to revenue and expense data, it provides staffing and enrollment data. Questions were asked about data gathering as relates to salaries at CUNY. We will send more info on those sources at a later date.
The Executive Committee is working with the Provost’s office to identify another item from the COACHE survey where we can work together to improve faculty satisfaction. Suggestions should be sent to me in the next week. Cynthia Wiseman, Chair of the Status of the Faculty Committee, and Kathleen Barker, Vice Chair of the UFS, are working on tracking COACHE progress across the campuses. Similarly we plan to send the Chancellor a suggestion on an item that should be included in the PMP. Again if you have a suggestion, send it to my attention in the next week.
Other topics touched upon included Experiential Learning and Online Education. In regard to the latter, the Executive Committee hopes to draft a white paper on the topic. If you are interested in working on this effort, please email me. I also announced that Prof. Martin Burke is creating a Consortial Faculty Caucus similar to the Community College Caucus. We want to ensure that the views of Consortial Faculty are heard.
Prof. Barker is chairing the search committee for a new UFS Executive Director. Hector Lopez, Hugo Fernandez, Patti Myatt, and Jay Weiser are also on the search committee. Prof. Martell is representing the UFS on a search for a new University Director of Development. Other searches soon to begin include a vice chancellor of Student Affairs, a vice provost for research, and presidents at City College and for John Jay.
McKinsey has been hired by the University to identify ways to improve processes and efficiency. The focus is on the non-instructional side of the house (IT, Finance, HR, Procurement, Facilities). If you have specific suggestions or concerns in regards to these areas please share them with me. McKinsey is meeting with people from all across CUNY and is doing a “deep dive” (digging deeper into operations) at KBCC and QC. I am serving on the stakeholder advisory committee along with several college provosts and the University Provost. We should expect that if this effort is successful the next stage will include an examination of the instructional side of the University, which accounts for 2/3rds of the budget (my opinion – no statement on that yet).
The UFS spring conference is on Shared Governance. The date is April 28th. More details forthcoming. Prof. Kaplowitz and Pecorino are coordinating.
b. Representatives to Board of Trustees committees – Prof. Barker announced that the University’s Quarterly Report on Employee Diversity will shortly be available on the web. The report focuses on non-instructional staffing; a future report will provide detailed faculty information.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:40 p.m.