MINUTES OF THE 401st PLENARY SESSION
OF THE UNIVERSITY FACULTY SENATE
OF THE CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK
October 24, 2017
- Approval of the Agenda
- Approval of the Minutes of September 26th, 2017
- Invited Guests
- Loretta Martinez, General Counsel and Vice Chancellor of Legal Affairs – 6:30 -7:00 p.m.
- Matthew Sapienza, Senior Vice Chancellor and Chief Financial Officer, 7:00 p.m.\
- New Business
- Old Business
- Fall Conference Update – Kathleen Barker
Library and Information Technology Committee – 4:45 p.m., Room 8400
Status of the Faculty Committee – 4:30 p.m., Room 8304
Student Affairs – 4:45 p.m., Room 8301
Community College Caucus – 3:30 – 4:30, Rm 8301
Social starts at 6:00 p.m. Light refreshments will be served.
UFS Chair Conway called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. in Room 9204/5/6 at the Graduate Center, 365 5th Avenue. Seventy-nine of the 144 voting members were present.
Baruch: Present – Edwards, Harel, Martell, Wine and Wymbs. Absent – Bazzoni, Ellis, Kafka and Weiser. BMCC: Present – Carson, Conway, Freas, Navarro, Tesfagiorgis and Tsiklauri. Absent – Bratsis, Brockington, Perdomo and Wiseman. Bronx CC: Present – Lawton and Stewart-Titus. Absent – Kossak. Vacancies – 3. Brooklyn: Present – Cohen, Hainline, Queneau and Wild. Absent – Bassell, Belyayeva, Chu, Okome, Sowers and Wilson. CCNY: Present – Brass, Jeruzalmi, Kornhauser and Li. Absent – Binz-Scharf, Crain and Raj. Vacancies – 3 and 1 (p/t). CSI: Present – Halley, Petratos and Verzani. Absent – Dimitric, Feola, Lavender and Sanchez. CUNY Law School: Present – Sokkar-Harker. Absent – Rosenberg. Graduate Center: Present – Burke, Nolan and Vora. Absent – Dauben, Giannikos and McDougall. Guttman: Present – Buttet. Absent – Tyner. Hostos CC: Present – Trachman and Worrell. Absent – Ostrin and Pimentel. Hunter: Present – Kuhn-Osius, McCauley and Nicolai. Absent – Ramasubramanian, Walsh and Young. Vacancies – 4 and 1 (p/t). John Jay: Present – Carbonell, Crossman, Kaplowitz, Kapstein, Katz and Kimora. Absent – Tovar. Vacancies – 1. Kingsborough CC: Present – Barnhart, Feeley, Spear, Stubin and Wetzel. Absent – Majewicz and Nagel. LaGuardia CC: Present – Berke, Fernandez, Keyes, Licari and Alternates Burdick, Sokolski and Stadler. Absent – Albrecht, Feldman and Gaines. Lehman: Present – Alexander-Street, Duncker, McGovern, Tilley and Alternate Wangerin. Absent – Hyman, Jitianu and Rice. Medgar Evers: Present – Barker, Franz and Lashley. Absent – Grazette. NYCCT: Present – Coughlin, Gelman and Hounion. Absent – Bennani and Grujicic-Alatriste. Vacancies – 3. Queens: Present – Brody, Cedeira-Serantes, McElwaine, Nelson and Sanudo. Absent – Costigan, Leites, Savage, Vesselinov and Zevin. Vacancies – 1. Queensborough CC: Present – Clingan, Pecorino, Rome, Tai and Alternate Ward. Absent – Ford, Murley and Rossi-Miller. York: Present – Keiler, Louis, Silva and Alternates Adeyemo, Deutsch-Keahey and Emtage. Absent – Gerena, Grosskopf and Rooney.
Governance Leaders present were: Burke (GC), Jeruzalmi (City), Nolan (GC), Pecorino (QCC), Sanudo (Queens), Sokolski (LaGuardia) and Verzani (CSI). Guests present include Loretta Martinez, General Counsel and Vice Chancellor for Legal Affairs, Matthew Sapienza, Senior Vice Chancellor and Chief Financial Officer for Budget and Finance, Dina Dahbany-Miraglia (QCC), Nicholas Glastonbury (GC) Lloyd Klein (LaGuardia) and Gail August (Hostos). Executive Director Cotter, Administrative Assistant Pasela, and Secretary Blanchard were also present.
- Approval of the Agenda – Adopted as Proposed
- Approval of the Minutes of September 26th, 2017 – Adopted as Proposed with One Abstention
- Old Business
- Fall Conference Update – Kathleen Barker – Prof. Barker reminded the UFS that the conference has 131 registrations and that seating remains limited and signing up is imperative.
- Invited Guests
- Loretta Martinez, General Counsel and Vice Chancellor of Legal Affairs – VC Martinez introduced herself and described her academic background and professional trajectory to the UFS and discussed how she understood the intersection of law, policy, and shared governance. She noted that CUNY is poised—via its mission—to improve the educational experience of its students and can be impactful with regard to transforming them into meaningful citizens. She then outlined some of the issues her office would be grappling with: greater reciprocity of communication between the Board of Trustees and the faculty, the myriad issues and practices surrounding the NY State Inspector General’s report, and how she might bring her experience to bear on ameliorating them in light of the policies to follow. A review of CUNY’s student activity fees will also be on her portfolio, and she noted that Student Affairs will be working together to that end. She noted that issues surrounding Title IX are a priority as well. Finally, her office will collaborate with the Budget Office on the reconstruction of the purchase and requisition procedures. She then took questions.
- Matthew Sapienza, Senior Vice Chancellor and Chief Financial Officer – SVC Sapienza briefly discussed the four pillars of the New Economic Model constitutive the CUNY Master Plan. While still inchoate, he discussed how CUNY is attempting to both reel in expenditures via administrative restructuring while simultaneously exploring hitherto unexplored alternative revenue streams via philanthropy, the use of facilities, and other measures. He then took questions.
- Chair – Prof. Conway followed up on the recent presentation of EVC Rabinowitz regarding the Strategic Framework Leadership Teams, and indicated that she would forward the list of team leaders to the listserve so senators could begin the process of recruiting candidates for service on those teams. She clarified for the room the nature and expectations of each team as well. She noted the CUNY Academy’s intrinsic value and encouraged the UFS to consider joining the organization. She then asked the new senators from York College to introduce themselves. She then updated the UFS on her recent and immanent campus visits and encouraged the senators to visit and contribute to the new UFS blog. She then updated the UFS on the proceedings and results of the most recent Borough and BoT meetings. She then discussed the concerns associated with the lack of transparency regarding Distinguished Lecturers. She discussed the concerns over the recent version of the Chancellor’s report (especially Article 9) relative administrators receiving faculty promotions and announced that the Status of the Faculty Committee will follow up in the hopes of revising the article’s language moving forward. She then noted that Gayle Horwitz had been appointed Chair of the Board of the Research Foundation and updated the UFS on measures the RF was taking toward greater transparency and accountability.
- Prof. Verzani (Budget Advisory) discussed recent changes to and developments in sabbatical funding for the colleges.
- Prof. Burke (Academic Affairs) updated the UFS on the proliferation of M.A. programs (both online and at the campuses) and the need for sustained engagement with the Office of academic Affairs (OAA) in the process. he also described the policy of Advance Placement credits and their transferability.
- Professor Kimora (Student Affairs) described how her committee is grappling with issues surrounding, among other things, the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) report.
There being no further business the meeting adjourned at 9:00 p.m.
Matthew J. Cotter