The 409th Plenary Session
of The University Faculty Senate
of The City University of New York
CUNY Central Office, 205 East 42nd Street, Room 818/819
Tuesday, December 11, 2018
- Adoption of the Agenda
- Approval of the Minutes of October, 2018
- Acceptance of Report on the November 6, meeting
- Presentation and Discussion of Proposed Changes to the UFS Charter – Kerin Coughlin
- Lisa Rose
- Emily Tai
- James McElwaine and Kimora
Library and Information Technology Committee – 4:30 – 6:00 p.m., 0963
Status of the Faculty Committee – 4:30 – 6:00 p.m., Room 1102
Student Affairs – 4:30 – 6:00 p.m., Room 1002
Academic Freedom – 4:30 – 6:00 p.m., Room 1014 (UFS Office)
Community College Caucus – 3:30 – 4:25 p.m., Room 1002
Contingent Caucus – 6:00 – 6:20 p.m., Room 1014 (UFS Office)
Social starts at 6:00 p.m. Refreshments will be served.
UFS Chair Burke called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. in Rooms 818/819 at the CUNY Central Office, 205 East 42nd Street. 77 of the 144 voting members were present. A quorum was achieved at 6:50 p.m.
Baruch: Present – Ellis, Harel, Martell, and Wine. Absent – Bazzoni, Hessel, Thompson and Wymbs. Vacancies – 1. BMCC: Present – Amaral, Carson, Freas, Navarro, Rose, Tesfagiorgis, Wiseman and Alternate Clock. Absent – Brockington, Hoff, Matarese and Perdomo. Bronx CC: Present – Apostolakis, Kaighobadi, Kossak and Stewart-Titus. Absent – Garay, Lawton and Mukerjee. Brooklyn: Present – Bassell, Levy, Okome, Wong and Alternates Fischer and Grayson. Absent – Belyayeva, Cohen, Hainline, Sowers, Vitale and Wilson. CCNY: Present – Brass, Crain, Gutierrez-Vicario, Jeruzalmi, Kornhauser and Alternate Stemberg. Absent – Binz-Scharf and Li. Vacancies – 4. CSI: Present – Feola, Gruber, Verzani and Wong. Absent – Halley, Lavender and Sanchez. CUNY Law School: Present – Sokkar-Harker. Absent – Kassem. Graduate Center: Present – Burke and Nolan. Absent – Giannikos, McDougall and Rogers-Dillon. Guttman: Present – Alternate Greaves. Absent – Hindman and Rodriguez. Hostos CC: Present – Trachman and Worrell. Absent – August and Pimentel. Hunter: Present – Wallach and Young. Absent – Kuhn-Osius, McCauley, Nicolai, Ramasubramanian and Walsh. Vacancies – 4 and 1 (p/t). John Jay: Present – Carbonell, Crossman, Kaplowitz, Kapstein, Kimora and Alternate Benton. Absent – Katz, Mulder and Tovar. Kingsborough CC: Present –Schnee, Spear and Stubin. Absent – Feeley, Nagel, Parker and Wetzel. LaGuardia CC: Present – Albrecht, Berke, Fernandez, Keyes, Klein and Alternates Aykol and Stadler. Absent – Feldman, Gaines and Licari. Lehman: Present – Duncker and Alternate Wangerin. Absent – Alexander-Street, Gonzalez-Corzo, Hyman, McGovern, Rice and Tilley. Medgar Evers: Present – Barker and Franz. Absent – Lashley. Vacancies – 1. NYCCT: Present – Bennett, Coughlin and Hounion. Absent – Gelman. Vacancies – 3 and 1 (p/t). Queens: Present – McElwaine, Nelson, Sanudo, Zevin and Alternate Harris. Absent – Brody, Cedeira-Serantes, Costigan, Glickman and Leites. Vacancies – 1. Queensborough CC: Present – Clingan, Ford, Kuszai, Pecorino, Rosen and Tai. Absent – Litvak and Rome. York: Present – Grosskopf, Louis and Alternate Diao. Absent – Gerena and Levy.
Governance Leaders present were: Bastas (LaGuardia), Benton (John Jay), Jeruzalmi (City), Kuszai (Queensborough), Nolan (Graduate Center), Pecorino (Queensborough), Sokolski (LaGuardia), Verzani (CSI), Wallach (Hunter) and Wong (CSI). Guests present include Gwen Kay (SUNY Faculty Senate), Kay Conway (BMCC), Anais Wong (Graduate Center) and Forest Fisher (Guttman CC). Executive Director Cotter, Administrative Assistant Pasela, and Secretary Blanchard were also present.
- Adoption of the Agenda – While a quorum was not yet achieved Professor Crain stated his concerns regarding the process by which resolutions may be revised and/or rescinded, to which Chair Burke and Parliamentarian Coughlin discussed with the Senate Roberts Rules of Order’s position on the matter.
- Approval of the Minutes of October 2, 2018 – once the quorum was achieved at 6:50 p.m., the minutes were adopted as proposed.
- Acceptance of the Report on the November 6, 2018 meeting. – Adopted as Proposed.
- Presentation and Discussion of Proposed Changes to the UFS Charter – Kerin Coughlin – 6:30 p.m. – Prof. Coughlin discussed the background and justification for the proposed revisions under discussion, especially those regarding the clarification and/or omission of problematic terminology, the more substantive matters of UFS Senate composition, and items/language that warranted updating in order to align them with current UFS practices. She then took questions, and discussion over the revision process followed. Executive Director Cotter then noted that he would, prior to the February and March Plenary Sessions, solicit, via the UFS listserv, further recommendations for discussion at those meetings.
- Status of the Faculty – Benjamin Franz – Prof. Franz updated the Senate on Resolution regarding presidential power regarding individual faculty promotions. He hoped that the Resolution would come before the Board of Trustees once a new Chancellor has been appointed.
- Library and Information Technology – Charles Keyes – Prof. Keyes updated the Senate on the committee’s charges and invited senators to join should they see fit.
- Academic Freedom – Philip Pecorino – Prof. Pecorino thanked the Senate for participating in his most recently faculty survey with regard to campus academic freedom initiatives and freedom of expression. He noted that he recently met with the University Student Senate and the CUNY Doctoral Student Council, and discussed the freedom of expression policy with each of them. He then took questions.
- Enrollment Management – Jason Young – Prof. Young updated the Senate on several developments in the committee that revolve around student retention and graduation rates. He noted that his committee would be working closely with the CUNY Enrollment Management Council.
- Chair – Martin Burke – Chair Burke noted that the search for a new Chancellor is ongoing. He also noted the recent proceedings of the Committee of Faculty, Staff, and Administration (CFSA), especially those concerning the tenure and review process Resolutions. He then took questions.
- Lisa Rose – Prof. Rose announced a call for proposals for a spring symposium on reentry for the recently incarcerated.
- Emily Tai – Prof. Tai called for student nominations for the Belle Zeller Scholarship.
- James McElwaine & Kimora – Profs. Kimora and McElwaine announced that CUNY One buttons were available for the Senate. Prof. Stubin then asked to announce faculty travel awards via the CUNY Academy.
- New Business – Due to time constraints there was none.
There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 8:00 p.m.
Matthew J. Cotter