The 403rd Plenary Session
of The University Faculty Senate
of The City University Of New York
Room 9204/5/6 The Graduate Center, 365 5th Avenue
Tuesday, February 6, 2018
- Approval of the Agenda
- Approval of the Minutes of December 5th, 2017
- Invited Guests
- Update on Strategic Plan Initiatives – Academic Momentum: Dr. David Crook, University Associate Provost for Academic Affairs and Donna Linderman, University Dean for Student Success Initiatives (6:40 p.m.)
- John Verzani, Chair, Budget Advisory Committee – Budget Update 7:05
- Martin J. Burke, Chair, Academic Affairs Committee – Update on Pathways 7:20
- Kathleen Barker, Chair, Enrollment Management Committee – Updates 7:30
- Student Affairs – Prof. Kimora 7:35
- Library and Information Technology – Prof. Benjamin Franz 7:45
- Status of the Faculty – Prof. Charles Keyes 7:55
- Chair 8:05
- New Business
- Library and Information Technology Committee – 4:45 p.m., Room 8304
- Status of the Faculty Committee – 4:30 p.m., Room 8400
- Student Affairs – 4:45 p.m., Room 8301
Community College Caucus – 3:30 – 4:30, Room 8301
Social starts at 6:00 p.m. Light refreshments will be served.
UFS Chair Conway called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. in Room 9204/5/6 at the Graduate Center, 365 5th Avenue. Seventy-three of the 144 voting members were present.
Baruch: Present – Ellis, Harel, Martell, and Wymbs. Absent – Bazzoni, Edwards, Kafka, Weiser and Wine. BMCC: Present – Carson, Conway, Freas, Navarro, Tesfagiorgis and Tsiklauri. Absent – Bratsis, Brockington, Perdomo and Wiseman. Bronx CC: Present – Lawton and Stewart-Titus. Absent – Kossak. Vacancies – 3. Brooklyn: Present – Bassell, Belyayeva, Cohen, Hainline, Okome, Queneau, Wild and Alternate Haine. Absent – Chu, Sowers and Wilson. CCNY: Present – Binz-Scharf, Jeruzalmi and Li. Absent – Brass, Crain, Kornhauser and Raj. Vacancies – 3 and 1 (p/t). CSI: Present – Dimitric, Feola, Halley and Verzani. Absent – Lavender, Petratos and Sanchez. CUNY Law School: Present – Rosenberg. Absent – Sokkar-Harker. Graduate Center: Present – Burke, Nolan and Vora. Absent – Dauben, Giannikos and McDougall. Guttman: Present – Buttet. Absent – Tyner. Hostos CC: Present – Ostrin, Trachman and Alternate August. Absent – Pimentel and Worrell. Hunter: Present – Kuhn-Osius. Absent – McCauley, Nicolai, Ramasubramanian, Walsh and Young. Vacancies – 4 and 1 (p/t). John Jay: Present – Carbonell, Crossman, Katz, Kimora and Tovar. Absent – Kaplowitz and Kapstein. Vacancies – 1. Kingsborough CC: Present – Barnhart, Feeley, Spear and Stubin. Absent – Majewicz, Nagel and Wetzel. LaGuardia CC: Present – Berke, Fernandez, Keyes, Licari and Alternates Sokolski and Stadler. Absent – Albrecht, Feldman, Gaines and Seo. Lehman: Present – Duncker, McGovern and Tilley. Absent – Alexander-Street, Hyman, Jitianu and Rice. Medgar Evers: Present – Barker, Franz and Alternate Van Steirteghem. Absent – Grazette and Lashley. NYCCT: Present – Hounion. Absent – Bennani, Coughlin, Gelman and Grujicic-Alatriste. Vacancies – 3. Queens: Present – Cedeira-Serantes, McElwaine, Nelson, Sanudo and Alternate Harris. Absent – Brody, Costigan, Leites, Savage, Vesselinov and Zevin. Vacancies – 1. Queensborough CC: Present – Clingan, Ford, Pecorino, Rome, Tai, Ward and Alternate Mann. Absent – Rossi-Miller. York: Present – Grosskopf, Keiler, and Alternate Emtage. Absent – Gerena, Louis, Rooney and Silva.
Governance Leaders present were: Burke (GC), Jeruzalmi (City), Nolan (GC), Pecorino (QCC), Sanudo (Queens), Sokolski (QCC) and Verzani (CSI). Guests present include David Crook, Associate University Provost for Academic Affairs, Donna Linderman, University Dean for Student Success Initiatives and Lloyd Klein (LaGuardia CC). Executive Director Cotter, Administrative Assistant Pasela, and Secretary Blanchard were also present.
- Approval of the Agenda – Approved as Proposed
- Approval of the Minutes of December 5th, 2017 – Approved as Proposed
- Invited Guests
- Update on Strategic Plan Initiatives – Academic Momentum: Dr. David Crook, University Associate Provost for Academic Affairs and Donna Linderman, University Dean for Student Success Initiatives – UAP Linderman and Dr. Crook briefly discussed their presentation on the CUNY strategic framework as it relates to student access and timely completion rates, and how the university is striving to double the completion rates at the Associate level and to increase completion rates by ten percent at the senior colleges. UAP Linderman briefly discussed how each campus was coordinating their efforts via momentum teams to these ends, and noted the significance of the ASAP program in achieving these goals. Dr. Crook discussed current and future developmental education tracks (especially math) and how redesign and reforms in each might better contribute to student proficiency and success, viz., timely graduation. They then took questions.
- John Verzani, Chair, Budget Advisory Committee – Budget Update – Prof. Verzani updated the UFS on the Governor’s proposed budget, which is slated to be announced in April. He discussed the various budget increases and decreases across the University. He also mentioned the major financial reports for the campuses, which is available on request to the Executive Director. He noted that the CUNY Central Office’s austerity program is well underway. The costs associated with faculty workload reassignment was also discussed, and Chair Conway followed up that the costs are expected to be absorbed by the community colleges. She then noted that much of the budget information discussed can be found on the CUNY website.
- Martin J. Burke, Chair, Academic Affairs Committee – Update on Pathways – Prof. Burke directed the UFS to review the OAA’s 3-year review of Pathways on the CUNY website and briefly discussed the 4th year review, which is ongoing. He noted that these matters will be discussed at future Academic Affairs meetings. He also discussed that the UFS has achieved greater oversight over the construction of new academic programs. He then took questions.
- Kathleen Barker, Chair, Enrollment Management Committee – Updates – Prof. Barker – Prof. Barker brought to the UFS’ attention zero-cost textbook, CUNY common application, and various recruitment and enrollment management initiatives.
- Student Affairs – Prof. Kimora – Prof. Kimora asked the UFS to keep on the current DACA discourse and the activities of FIRE, and the committee’s very positive interactions with Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs.
- Library and Information Technology – Prof. Charles Keyes – updated the UFs on the nature and scope of OER and the various incentives available to faculty to develop them and offered insights how faculty might fend off the initiatives of the larger, more commercial presses when developing them. He noted that he and the committee will work in concert with CUNY CO to formulate an Open Access policy amenable to both faculty and the University. A discussion over the legality of open sourced materials ensued.
- Status of the Faculty – Prof. Benjamin Franz – Prof. Franz discussed matters at Medgar Evers related to presidential powers/fiat regarding administrative and faculty promotions. When asked he indicated that suggested changes to the Manual of General Policy and Bylaws would be proposed by the end of the semester.
- Chair 8:05 – Chair Conway updated the UFS on her various meetings and committee hearings. She noted that she would be appearing at a PSC-CUNY event at the Graduate Center on the School of Professional Studies. She briefly mentioned that the committee related to the Chancellor’s search is in development. She also mentioned the ongoing nature of the Kingsborough Community College presidential search as well. She then opened the floor for discussion over best practices of shared governance. Prof. Crossman noted that John Jay has thought the matter through and listed a few preliminary ideas, which she agreed would be part of a blog post in the immediate future. A brief discussion over further compensation for contingent faculty for work performed outside the classroom was discussed, as was the governance structure at SPS.
- New Business – there was none.
There being no further business the meeting adjourned at 8:35 p.m.
Matthew J. Cotter