The 406th Plenary Session
of The University Faculty Senate
of The City University Of New York
The CUNY Graduate Center
Rooms 9204 – 6
Tuesday, May 15, 2018
- Approval of the Agenda
- Approval of the Minutes of April 24, 2018
- Invited Guests
- Chancellor James B. Milliken – 6:30 p.m.
- New Business
- Election of Chair, Vice-Chair, and at-large members of the UFS Executive Committee (balloting after candidates make 2-minute oral statements; written statements attached) – 7:00 p.m.
- Resolution regarding Directive 4911A – Emily Tai
- Draft Resolution from Status of the Faculty – Benjamin Franz
- Academic Affairs Committee – Martin Burke
- Status of the Faculty – Ben Franz
- Student Affairs – Kimora
- Enrollment Management – Kathleen Barker
- Chair – Kay Conway
Library and Information Technology Committee – 4:45 p.m., Room 8304
Status of the Faculty Committee – 4:30 p.m., Room 8400
Student Affairs – 4:45 p.m., Room 8301
Community College Caucus – 3:30 – 4:30 p.m., Room 8301
Social starts at 6:00 p.m. Light refreshments will be served.
MINUTES - draft
UFS Chair Conway called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. in Rooms 9204/5/6 at the CUNY Graduate Center, 365 5th Avenue. 100 of the 147 voting members were present.
Baruch: Present – Bazzoni, Ellis, Harel, Hessel, Martell, Thompson, Wine and Wymbs. Vacancies – 1. BMCC: Present – Amaral, Carson, Matarese, Navarro, Tesfagiorgis and Alternate Clock. Absent – Brockington, Freas, Hoff, Perdomo, Rose and Wiseman. Bronx CC: Present – Apostolakis, Garay, Kaighobadi, Lawton and Stewart-Titus. Absent – Kossak and Mukerjee. Brooklyn: Present – Bassell, Hainline, Levy, Okome, Wilson and Alternate Grayson. Absent – Belyayeva, Chu, Cohen, Sowers and Vitale. CCNY: Present – Brass, Crain, Jeruzalmi, Kornhauser and Li. Absent – Binz-Scharf and Gutierrez-Vicario. Vacancies – 4. CSI: Present – Feola, Halley, Krit, Verzani and Alternate Gruber. Absent – Lavender, Sanchez and Wong. CUNY Law School: Absent – Rosenberg and Sokkar-Harker. Graduate Center: Present – Burke, Nolan and Alternates Dauben and Vora. Absent – Giannikos, McDougall and Rogers-Dillon. Guttman: Present – Hindman, Rodriguez and Alternate Greaves. Hostos CC: Present – August, Trachman, Worrell and Alternates Beckerman and Colon. Absent – Pimentel. Hunter: Present – Nicolai and Young. Absent – Kuhn-Osius, McCauley, Ramasubramanian and Walsh. Vacancies – 5 and 1 (p/t). John Jay: Present – Carbonell, Crossman, Kaplowitz, Kimora, Mulder, Tovar and Alternate Benton. Absent – Kapstein and Katz. Vacancies – 1. Kingsborough CC: Present – Feeley, Nagel, Parker, Spear, Stubin, Wetzel and Alternates Perea and Schiavone. Absent – Schnee. LaGuardia CC: Present – Albrecht, Berke, Fernandez, Klein, Licari and Alternates Aykol and Burdick. Absent – Feldman, Gaines and Keyes. Lehman: Present – Duncker, Gonzalez-Corzo, McGovern, Rice, Tilley and Alternate Wangerin. Absent – Alexander-Street and Hyman. Medgar Evers: Present – Barker, Franz, Lashley and Alternate Van Steirteghem. Absent – Grazette. NYCCT: Present – Bennett, Coughlin, Gelman and Hounion. Vacancies – 3 and 1 (p/t). Queens: Present – Glickman, McElwaine, Nelson, Sanudo, Zevin and Alternate Harris. Absent – Brody, Cedeira-Serantes, Costigan and Leites. Vacancies – 1. Queensborough CC: Present – Clingan, Ford, Kuszai, Litvak, Pecorino Rome, Rosen and Tai. York: Present – Grosskopf, Keiler and Silva. Absent – Gerena and Louis.
Governance Leaders present were: Bastas (LaGuardia), Benton (John Jay), Burke (Graduate Center), Buttet (Guttman), Ialongo (Hostos), Jeruzalmi (City), Kuszai (Queensborough), Nolan (Graduate Center), Pecorino (Queensborough), Sanudo (Queens), Sokolski (LaGuardia), Verzani (CSI) and Wallach (Hunter). Guests present include Chancellor James B. Milliken, Sandi Cooper (Emerita, CSI), Kay Conway (BMCC), Gene Mann (Queensborough), Herve Queneau (Brooklyn), Judith Wild (Brooklyn), Matthew Edwards (Baruch), Pamela Stemberg (City) and Michael Barnhart (Kingsborough). Executive Director Cotter, Administrative Assistant Pasela, and Secretary Blanchard were also present.
- Approval of the Agenda – Amended to Reflect A Change in Chancellor Milliken’s Schedule
- Approval of the Minutes of April 24, 2018 – Adopted as Proposed
- Invited Guests
- Chancellor James B. Milliken – 6:30 p.m (changed to 7:30) – Chair Conway read a statement for the record acknowledging Chancellor Milliken’s character and efforts throughout his tenure (copy below). The Chancellor reflected on his time at CUNY and his various institutional, curricular, and fiscal accomplishments. He mentioned specifically CUNY’s commitment to undocumented students and a refocusing the University’s overall mission. He then thanked the UFS for its service.
- New Business
- Election of Chair, Vice-Chair, and at-large members of the UFS Executive Committee. At the beginning of the meeting Prof. Crain suggested that the electoral process itself be reconsidered in light of newly elected senators and the timing of elections. Prof. Barnhart coordinated the election and each candidate spoke before ballots were cast. [Election results were announced. Prof. Martin J. Burke was elected UFS Chair, and Profs. Kerin Coughlin, Kimora, John Verzani, and Jason Young were elected to the UFS Executive Committee. All remaining At Large members were reelected.]
- Resolution regarding Directive 4911A – Emily Tai – Prof. Tai provided pertinent background information regarding the proposed resolution within the context of the Committee on Higher Education in the Prisons. She then read the resolution aloud (copy of which is below), and it was approved unanimously by the Senate. Prof. Tai noted that the Resolution would be sent subsequently to the Office of the Governor. Chair Conway then asked each recently elected Senator to introduce themselves to the Senate.
- Draft Resolution from Status of the Faculty – Benjamin Franz – Prof. Franz yielded two minutes of his time to Prof. Barnhart to provide some background information to the proposed changes to the policy regarding the presidential promotion of administrators without faculty consultation (see below). Prof. Franz opened the floor to questions, and then he read the relative clauses under discussion. Profs. Parea and Duncker asked for further clarification regarding the process of administrative review, and Prof. Brass noted that the proposed change does not preclude a presidential promotion but simply asks for greater faculty participation in the processes. Prof. Pecorino seconded the gravity of the resolution, and after some discussion, it was unanimously approved. Outgoing Chair Conway noted that the matter was important relative the larger question of ByLaw revision within CUNY.
- Academic Affairs Committee – Martin Burke – Prof. Burke updated the Senate on the charges and accomplishments of the committee the past year and what challenges the committee will face in the years to come. He noted that Prioritization would serve as a benchmark for the future of academic success and administrative facility throughout the university.
- Status of the Faculty – Ben Franz – Prof. Franz noted that the SoF Final Report has already been uploaded to the UFS website and noted a few matters of concern for the upcoming year, especially personnel changes and diversity throughout CUNY faculty. Prof. Kaplowitz asked about the status of the Interim Provost, to which outgoing Chair Conway was not aware of any developments.
- Student Affairs – Kimora – Prof. Kimora explained to the new senators the nature and scope of activities of the committee itself, and she outlined some of the changes to the sexual misconduct policy that are on the horizon for the University. Outgoing Chair Conway noted the accomplishments of the University Student Senate regarding the determination and collection of fees.
- Enrollment Management – Kathleen Barker – Prof. Barker described the nature and scope the Enrollment Management Council’s activities. She noted the Council’s efforts regarding the verification of student enrollment of the past year. She then discussed how question of enrollment affect online course offerings and faculty workload.
- Chair – Kay Conway – Chair Conway volunteered to provide documentation to any and all faculty interested in a letter for their promotion and/or tenure files. She thanked the Executive Committee for their service, Executive Director Cotter and Stasia Pasela and Vernice Blanchard for their efforts. She acknowledged Lisa Ellis and University Dean Arlene Torres for the commitment to increasing faculty diversity across CUNY. She then singled out LaRoi Lawton for his service on the School of Professional Studies Governance Board and Roberta Brody for her Service on the Committee on Academic Technology. She then acknowledged Shirley Raps for her service on the Faculty Advisory Council to the Research Foundation. Finally, she thanked Enid Stubin for her service to the CUNY Academy and introduced Nora Glickman as its new Executive Director.
There being no further business the meeting adjourned at 9:25 p.m.
Matthew J. Cotter