The 408th Plenary Session
of The University Faculty Senate
of The City University of New York
205 East 42nd Street, Room 0818/0819
Tuesday, November 6, 2018
- Adoption of the Agenda
- Approval of the Minutes of October 2, 2018
- Invited Guests
- Matthew Sapienza, Senior Vice Chancellor and University Budget Director – 6:30 – 7:00 p.m.
- Board of Trustees Bylaws Revisions and Chancellor’s Report Amendments – Kerin Coughlin – 7:00 – 7:10 p.m.
- Status of the Faculty – Benjamin Franz – 7:10 – 7:20 p.m.
- SPS Governing Body – Philip Pecorino, Kathleen Barker, Nikolas Apostolakis – 7:20 – 7:30 p.m.
- Student Affairs – Laroi Lawton – 7:30 – 7:40 p.m.
- Chair – Martin Burke – 7:40 – 7:45 p.m.
- New Business
Library and Information Technology Committee – 4:30 p.m., Room 0963
Status of the Faculty Committee – 4:30 p.m., Room 1102
Student Affairs – 4:30 p.m., Room 1002
Academic Freedom – 4:30 p.m., Room 1014
Enrollment Management Committee – 5:00 p.m., Room 1072
Community College Caucus – 3:30 – 4:25 p.m., Room 1002
Contingent Caucus 6:00 p.m., Room 1014 (UFS offices)
Social starts at 6:00 p.m. Refreshments will be served.
UFS Chair Burke called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. in Rooms 818/819 at the CUNY Central Office, 205 East 42nd Street. 72 of the 144 voting members were present.
Baruch: Present – Harel, Hessel, Martell, Thompson and Wymbs. Absent – Bazzoni, Ellis and Wine. Vacancies – 1. BMCC: Present – Amaral, Carson, Matarese, Navarro, Tesfagiorgis, Wiseman and Alternate Clock. Absent – Brockington, Freas, Hoff, Perdomo and Rose. Bronx CC: Present – Apostolakis, Kaighobadi, Kossak and Lawton. Absent – Garay, Mukerjee and Stewart-Titus. Brooklyn: Present – Cohen, Hainline, Levy, Okome, Wilson and Alternate Grayson. Absent – Bassell, Belyayeva, Sowers, Vitale and Wong. CCNY: Present – Brass, Crain, Jeruzalmi, Kornhauser and Alternate Stemberg. Absent – Binz-Scharf, Gutierrez-Vicario and Li. Vacancies – 4. CSI: Present – Verzani, Wong and Alternate Gruber. Absent – Feola, Halley, Krit, Lavender and Sanchez. CUNY Law School: Absent – Rosenberg and Sokkar-Harker. Graduate Center: Present – Burke and Nolan. Absent – Giannikos, McDougall and Rogers-Dillon. Guttman: Present – Alternate Greaves. Absent – Hindman and Rodriguez. Hostos CC: Present – August, Trachman and Worrell. Absent – Pimentel. Hunter: Present – Young. Absent – Kuhn-Osius, McCauley, Nicolai, Ramasubramanian, Wallach and Walsh. Vacancies – 4 and 1 (p/t). John Jay: Present – Crossman, Kaplowitz, Katz, Kimora, Mulder and Alternate Benton. Absent – Carbonell, Kapstein and Tovar. Kingsborough CC: Present – Feeley, Schnee, Spear, Stubin and Wetzel. Absent – Nagel and Parker. LaGuardia CC: Present – Albrecht, Feldman, Fernandez, Keyes, Klein and Licari. Absent – Berke and Gaines. Lehman: Present – Duncker and Alternate Wangerin. Absent – Alexander-Street, Gonzalez-Corzo, Hyman, McGovern, Rice and Tilley. Medgar Evers: Present – Barker and Franz. Absent – Lashley. Vacancies – 1. NYCCT: Present – Bennett and Coughlin. Absent – Gelman and Hounion. Vacancies – 3 and 1 (p/t). Queens: Present – Glickman, McElwaine, Sanudo, Zevin and Alternate Harris. Absent – Brody, Cedeira-Serantes, Costigan, Leites and Nelson. Vacancies – 1. Queensborough CC: Present – Ford, Kuszai, Pecorino, Rosen and Tai. Absent – Clingan, Litvak and Rome. York: Present – Grosskopf and Alternate Deutsch-Keahey. Absent – Gerena, Levy and Louis.
Governance Leaders present were: Bastas (LaGuardia), Benton (John Jay), Buttet (Guttman), Castillo (NYCCT), Jeruzalmi (City), Kuszai (Queensborough), Nolan (Graduate Center), Pecorino (Queensborough), Sokolski (LaGuardia), Verzani (CSI) and Wong (CSI). Guests present include Senior Vice Chancellor Matthew Sapienza, Kay Conway (BMCC), Nivedita Majumdar (PSC), Anais Wong (Graduate Center) and Sarah Grotenhuis. Executive Director Cotter, Administrative Assistant Pasela, and Secretary Blanchard were also present.
- Adoption of the Agenda – The Agenda Could not be Approved Because the Meeting did not Achieve a Perez Quorum.
- Approval of the Minutes of October 2, 2018 – The Minutes Could not be Approved Because the Meeting did not Achieve a Perez Quorum.
- Invited Guests
- Matthew Sapienza, Senior Vice Chancellor and University Budget Director – 6:30 – 7:00 p.m. – VC Sapienza updated the Senate on the fiscal health and budget requests of the University for the 2018 – 2020 academic years and the general budgetary changes under consideration for the two- and four-year institutions. He then outlined the process behind the creation and administration of the CUNY Financial Plans for the campuses, and thanked the Budget Advisory Committee for its support throughout the process. He then took questions.
- Board of Trustees Bylaws Revisions and Chancellor’s Report Amendments – Kerin Coughlin – 7:00 – 7:10 p.m. Kerin Coughlin – Professor Coughlin outlined the proposed revisions for each document and of her meetings with senior administrators involved in the process. She then outlined the changes on the horizon regarding the Chancellor’s Report, and noted how they would most likely reflect the proposed Bylaws revisions. She indicated that the process is ongoing, and then solicited feedback from the Senate on the Chancellor’s Report. She agreed to keep the body apprised as matters move forward. She then took questions.
- Status of the Faculty – Benjamin Franz – 7:10 – 7:20 p.m. – Prof. Franz updated the Senate on the status of the proposed SoF Resolution regarding Bylaws revision. He noted that it was not possible to bring it before the Plenary for a vote on account of there not being a Perez majority and in light of the proposed Bylaws revisions outlined by Prof. Coughlin.
- SPS Governing Body – Philip Pecorino, Kathleen Barker, Nikolas Apostolakis – 7:20 – 7:30 p.m. – each Professor discussed crucial aspects of the recently proposed changes to the SPS governing body, three of which were broadcast for the Senate to view and comment upon. They then took questions.
- Student Affairs – Laroi Lawton – 7:30 – 7:40 p.m. – Professor Lawton declined to give a report.
- Chair – Martin Burke – 7:40 – 7:45 p.m. – Chair Burke noted that the search for a new CUNY chancellor was ongoing. He also apprised the Senate of immanent changes to CUNY’s sexual misconduct policies per the Board of Trustees, especially with regard to mandatory training for faculty, staff, and students beginning in 2019. He then commended Prof. Enid Stubin for all of her work regarding the CUNY Academy for the Humanities and Sciences.
- New Business – Prof. Pecorino briefly apprised the Senate of the activities of the UFS Academic Freedom Committee and what its charges will be for the academic year.
There being no further business the Meeting adjourned at 8:00 p.m.
Matthew J. Cotter