The Senate Committees of the CUNY University Faculty Senate serve many purposes. Regardless of their individual charges, each committee shares a similar function:
- They actively plan how their individual efforts support the mission of the Faculty Senate itself;
- They evaluate proposals of the University administration;
- They explore issues of concern to the faculty and recommend policy;
- They refer important matters to one another when necessary;
- They liaise between other committees, the Executive Committee and the University Administration.
The standing committees of the Senate shall reflect the academic, administrative and financial organization of the University. There shall be in addition an Academic Freedom Committee and such other standing committees as the Senate shall create.