CUNY and the NYC DOE are partnering on an initiative to give every middle school student an opportunity to visit a college campus, as part of the mayoral Equity and Access Agenda. The program will pilot this spring in 22 middle schools.
During the spring semester – May through June – the College Squad Leaders will be responsible for leading small groups of middle school students on an age-appropriate tour of one of ten CUNY campuses. The tour will include a scavenger hunt, lunch in the cafeteria, and participation in a meaningful, interactive activity on campus. The Squad Leaders will receive training and technical assistance and will have input into tour activities.
- Act as CUNY campus tour guide and activity facilitator to small (15-20) groups of middle school students
- Provide age appropriate information about tour sites and activities and field questions from the group
- Work with the tour coordinators and other key staff to ensure all tours run efficiently
- Attend all training sessions, including a mandatory orientation training on May 6
- Communicate with campus staff and/or faculty to coordinate tour activities, as needed
- Must be knowledgeable about one of the ten selected CUNY campuses (Bronx Community, Lehman, Brooklyn, Medgar Evers, Kingsborough Community, City College, John Jay, Queens, York, and College of Staten Island)
The College Squad Leader must:
- have availability during May and June to lead at least one three-hour tour per week; tours will occur select weekday mornings and afternoons; hiring is contingent upon availability
- have working knowledge of campus facilities and attractions
- have exceptional oral communication skills
- be a strong leader that can captivate a younger audience
- have strong problem-solving, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- have experience working with youth, especially middle-school aged
- be committed to college access and student success
- Bilingual (Spanish) speaker a plus
- be a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident
- *Note: Leaders must not have another Research Foundation of CUNY position at the same time. Alternative arrangements may be possible. Please specify your employment in your letter.
- The Squad Leader will earn $15 – $20 per hour, dependent on experience. This is a Research Fund (RF) position and includes paid training and planning time.
Submit a résumé and letter of interest to Sarah McConnell, Associate Director of College Readiness Initiatives at firstname.lastname@example.org