Watch our student recruitment video to learn more about this great program at CUNY!
APPLICATION DEADLINE is May 17, 2018, 11:59pm
The Application for CUNY Service Corps – Puerto Rico is now OPEN! APPLICATION DEADLINE is May 17, 2018, 11:59pm
CUNY Service Corps – Puerto Rico
Summer 2018 Student Application
We are pleased to announce an exciting partnership with Governor Andrew Cuomo! Launching in summer 2018, CUNY Service Corps – Puerto Rico will enable students like you to play a meaningful role in The New York Stands with Puerto Rico Recovery and Rebuilding Effort. The State of New York is mobilizing students from both CUNY and SUNY to travel to Puerto Rico this summer and work with non-profit organizations already rebuilding on the ground. The Service Corps is looking for motivated, hard-working students to be a part of this service community. If selected as a participating student, you will:
- Work with skilled trade professionals performing building and construction tasks to help rebuild communities and neighborhoods in Puerto Rico
- Earn a stipend
- Earn academic credit
- Build workplace and community service skills
ALL TRAVEL, FOOD, AND LODGING EXPENSES PAID!!!
TUITION AND FEES WAIVED
Important Program Facts
- The program will operate from mid-June to early August in Puerto Rico. Exact dates will be available soon.
- Students must have the required documentation to travel to Puerto Rico. Examples include a U.S. passport, state-issued driver’s license, state-issued photo identification card, U.S. passport card, US military ID, or a permanent resident card.
- Students must be able to commit to a 2-week, 4-week or 6-week service project. Students who apply will be asked to indicate their availability in 2-week blocks during the program.
To be eligible for CUNY Service Corps – Puerto Rico, you must:
- Be matriculated in a degree program at a CUNY college at time of application
- Be currently enrolled in Spring 2018
- Be planning to enroll in Fall 2018
- Be in good academic standing at your college and have a GPA of at least 2.5
- Have earned at least 24 college credits by end of Spring 2018 (18 credits for community college students)
- Have the required documentation for domestic travel
- Be committed: CUNY Service Corps – Puerto Rico is a two– to six–week commitment.
- Be willing to perform construction related tasks (under the supervision of a trained professional)
- Be interested in serving as a CUNY ambassador in a setting that requires professional behavior
The application is due on May 17, 2018
Important Dates – TENTATIVE
- Group Interviews: Week of May 21, 2018
- Notification of Acceptance: May 25, 2018
- Orientation/Pre-service training: Week of May 28, 2018