Watch our student recruitment video to learn more about this great program at CUNY!
Priority application deadline: February 16, 2018
The application for 2018-2019 academic year is now open. The priority deadline is February 16, 2018. The final deadline is March 11, 2018.
The Service Corps gives students like you the chance to play a role in improving New York City’s future — while gaining real-work experience and getting paid. As a Service Corps student, you will become a member of a prestigious University community practicing service and building skills. You will have the opportunity to participate in interesting projects, which include the following:
- Providing administrative support to hospital Vice Presidents
- Helping senior citizens to use technology effectively
- Designing promotional flyers to attract youth to a job training program
- Teaching children about animals in a zoo
- Promoting financial literacy among adults
- Researching energy efficiency
Important Program Facts
- The program will operate from our eight participating CUNY colleges: Borough of Manhattan Community College, City College, College of Staten Island, John Jay College of Criminal Justice, Lehman College, Medgar Evers College, New York City College of Technology, and Queens College.
- Service Corps placements last twenty-four weeks over two semesters; members will work approximately 11-12 hours per week and will be paid $15 per hour.
To be eligible for the CUNY Service Corps, students must:
- Be working toward a degree at one of the participating CUNY colleges
- Be enrolled full-time (at least 12 credits for undergraduates, 9 credits for graduate students) in spring 2018 and plan to enroll full-time during the 2018-2019 academic year
- Have a cumulative Grade Point Average of at least 2.5*
- Have earned at least 24 college credits by the end of summer 2018 (18 credits for community college students)*
- Have addressed any remedial education needs prior to beginning fall classes
- Have the proper work authorization required by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
- Please note that the Service Corps is a one-year commitment and opportunity for CUNY students. Past or current Service Corps members may not reapply.
*NOTE: Community college students with under 24 credits must have a GPA of at least 3.0. Community college students with 24 credits or above can have a 2.5 GPA.
In addition, the CUNY Service Corps is interested in applicants who demonstrate that they:
- Want to be part of a special and important program that will make a difference in the lives of New Yorkers
- Are interested in helping people, neighborhoods, and/or organizations
- Can balance work in the CUNY Service Corps with college studies and other co-curricular commitments
- Show promise as a leader and a problem-solver
- Are able to work as a member of a team