July 29, 2015 | Student Stories

Holly-KiangBrazil, Barbuda, Honduras, Iceland and Kenya

Studying abroad has helped me define my academic and professional path through extensive and integrative field experience. Being able to learn from many professors and peers from throughout the U.S. and abroad, I gained insights into various research methods, cultural concerns and what it means to be a global citizen. Not only did I get the chance to travel for the sake of experience but also realize my goals for the rest of my undergraduate career and prepare me for my future studies. I gained confidence in my independent work as well as working extensively in close quarters.

Having explored the interface of ecology and conservation science and how science informs collaboration locally, I looked to expand my knowledge of cultures and interaction abroad. My fieldwork experiences were with a conservation biology nonprofit in Honduras performing biodiversity studies in the jungle and ocean, two archaeology excavations in Barbuda and Iceland, a semester exploring the Brazilian Amazon, and a semester studying human evolution in Kenya. Archaeological excavation, surveying, and diving highlighted historical land use and cultural conceptions of resource management. These experiences were also formative in how to build a relationship with the community and encourage cultural exchange. (Read more here).

Antigua and Barbuda: Heritage, Food Sustainability and Global Climate Change Field School (Brooklyn)