July 30, 2015 | Student Stories, Winter Inter-Session 2014-15

MurrayWilliam photo smallI enrolled for a winter intersession Global Justice course as part of Lehman College’s International Exchanges and Study Abroad program in Santiago, Chile called Human Rights and Transitional Justice that aligned with my curriculum. This was my second time traveling abroad as I took a Global Civics course at Bronx Community College where I travelled to the Salzburg Global Seminar in 2013. This year I went to Chile and studied at Bolivarian University.  Our group met with Mapuche inhabitants as part of our anthropological research outside the capital city in Temuco. There, we learned how much of the indigenous people in Chile share a cosmovisión – or worldview – that orients them toward ritualized use of ancestral land. The Mapuche are committed to land recovery fundamentally aimed at restricting environmental abuse and achieving justice in relation to cultural use of traditional lands. Visiting both Austria as a participant in Schloss Leopoldskron’s International Study Program and my educational opportunity in Chile have, together, brought forth my most edifying life experiences to date.