CUNY Study Abroad offers students a wide range of short-term, semester and year-long programs that lead to significant cultural and academic experiences. As a CUNY student, you are eligible to participate in programs offered by your home college, or in EPermit-eligible programs offered by any CUNY college. Start your search with the Study Abroad Directory, and make an appointment with your home college study abroad office or liaison to identify a program that works with your degree plan and career goals. Consider the type of credits you need for your course of study, along with requirements for your major, minor and general education requirements.


Three types of CUNY Study Abroad Programs to consider:

  • Faculty-led programs are courses taught by CUNY faculty. The programs are short-term and typically run during the summer or winter intersession. Financial assistance, such as federal student loans and Pell grants, may be available.
  • Exchange programs provide CUNY students the opportunity to attend a partner overseas institution for a semester or academic year, while a student from that institution enrolls at a CUNY college. CUNY students generally pay CUNY tuition to the CUNY college hosting the exchange; exchange programs are sometimes limited to students enrolled at the host college, although the CUNY Paris and CUNY Italy programs are regularly available to qualified students throughout CUNY. Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) funds may be applied to such exchange programs. Students may also be eligible for federal student loans and Pell grants.  Moreover, Pell-eligible students participating in programs lasting a semester or longer are also eligible for the Gilman scholarship; this requires a separate application with an early deadline, so investigate this early.
  • Affiliated programs may be semester-long, year-long or short-term (typically run during the summer or winter intersession). These programs consist of courses aimed toward a particular course of study and are taught by faculty of the host institution or by visiting CUNY faculty. Students usually pay tuition to the foreign institution through the sponsoring CUNY college. Financial assistance, such as federal student loans and Pell grants, may be available. If you are considering a semester-long program and receive a Pell grant, you should also apply for a Gilman scholarship.

Many students also participate in non-CUNY international programs. Students are strongly advised to consult the study abroad office or liaison and the financial aid office at their home college well in advance to determine credit transferability and financial aid eligibility.