Thank you for working to support student clubs’ international activities.   This page includes resources for student affairs staff who facilitate student trips abroad through Student Affairs.

The CUNY International Travel Guidelines explain procedures for travel abroad, and apply to credit and non-credit travel abroad. These are updated periodically and the online version should be consulted for the most accurate information.

In addition to College reporting procedures, all trips and participants must (1) be covered by CUNY’s comprehensive travel insurance policy and (2) be reported in advance to Central Office for inclusion in the Risk Management Database.  Student Affairs staff should use the templates posted here to register students as part of the International Travel Notification process.

Please work with the Study Abroad Office (or equivalent) at your college as soon as you are aware of planned international trips—they can provide advice on the trip proposal process as well as subsequent steps if the trip is approved by your College CAO.  College contacts are available here.

Trips should be proposed at least six months in advance and should be approved by the College CAO before any financial or other commitments are made by your institution or potential participants.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Lots of students go abroad, who is responsible for what group trips?  Student club trips and other trips organized under the auspices of Student Affairs are the responsibility of the College Student Affairs Office.  To ensure compliance with the International Travel Guidelines, collaboration with the College Study Abroad Office from the trip proposal process onwards is strongly recommended.
  • Our college provides travel funding awards using student fees–how do we make sure that students receiving this funding understand the requirements?  With the award notification, inform them that their travel is subject to the requirements of the CUNY International Travel Guidelines, and ask them to review the key requirements.  This link addresses how the requirements apply to students traveling in groups and individually as well as on CUNY programs and non-CUNY programs.
  • How can I get access the Risk Management database (Terra Dotta) or ask questions about the process?  Contact  You can receive an account that will allow you to export queries on your students abroad, change their status, and reach out to them.  The data you submit for risk management reporting is at your disposal through this system.