Meet BCC’s 2018 Non-traditional Valedictorian Alixan Ducreay

Non-traditional students like Alixan Ducreay are a Bronx Community College tradition. A Bronxite for the last 20 years, he came to BCC to earn his first college degree after years of working in banking and information technology and raising a family. The Caribbean-born Mr. Ducreay majored in political science while serving as a senator in the Student Government Association, vice president of Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society, vice chair of the Inter-Organizational Council, editor of the student newspaper The Communicator and a peer tutor. When not busy with all of that “I am an avid chess player, and I like to think I play a decent piano.” Alixan’s post-BCC plans include graduate studies in political science, with a concentration in urban studies, leading to legal advocacy for housing and human rights. When he addresses the Class of 2018 today, Mr. Ducreay says, “I want to speak for mature, non-traditional students like myself who have to balance work and family, and face doubts about their viability as students. I also wish to dispel the notion that older students are only in school to improve job prospects. The students I talked to and advocated for understand the benefits of a broad liberal arts education in making them better citizens and better humans.”